This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

That feeling of relief that happened during “spring break”, after having used up all our reserve-battery power up till then, has come to an end!  Now hopefully that reserve power is recharged since the next set of exams are creeping back up on us, to add to the growing stresses.  Alas, reality finally hits that we now have to put our heads down again for those last few weeks till we truly get to experience REAL freedom — summer!  But of course we have those other eluded tasks to tackle first, our last set of exams of this year.  We all know after a long, long year behind us knuckling down for that final hurdle feels like taking on Everest.  This final set of exams should not be daunting but a way to show off all our hard work throughout the year to then reward and enjoy ourselves during summer!  So keep up the motivation now girls and it’ll all be worth it.  Here are some reminders to get you on track:

1.    GET  IN A ROUTINE

For most people having a set time for getting things done encourages them to meet their goals.  If you have planned a set time to sit down and study you are less likely to decide that your next task for the day is to watch Friends for hours on end. There is always time for some re-arranging if you REALLY have to chill or some emergency coffee date pops up so don’t worry if you don’t totally stick to your timetable.  Nevertheless, if you have a to-do list for the day, then being able to tick off that list will mean you have achieved everything you want to.

2. PLAN SOME FUN TIME

Just make sure you arrange some ‘me’ time.  It is important to make sure you enjoy yourself.  As well as this some fun time will be a major factor for inspiring that final push to motivate yourself to the end.  No one can stick to something for too long if they are not also enjoying themselves- just find the right balance!

3. DO NOT GET DISTRACTED

All we need to do is type – fa-… – and our internet predicts Facebook as a better alternative to studying.  We all get distracted and find the urge to take yet another “break”, but why not try re-focussing yourself by getting up from your desk, having a quick walk somewhere and sitting back down.  You should feel more focused and able to get back down to work, rather than catching up on everyone else’s lives.

4. TAKE BREAKS

We are all aware that we cannot sit at our desks all day, every day.  Studies have shown that the brain gradually stops registering a sight if that stimulus remains constant over time so taking breaks allows us to refocus.  So rather than being counter-productive and forcing yourself to stare aimlessly at your screen just take a sufficient number of timely breaks.  It would benefit your studying and concentration by just putting your full focus on your work in successive blocks rather than shrinking your brain by forcing yourself to stay for countless hours.  Even taking one full day as a break (where no thoughts/guilts of studying are allowed) may benefit you in the end as you can come back to your work refreshed and allow your brain to relax itself. 

5. CHILL OUT

As your mama says, you can only do your best.  So as long as you have worked your hardest, in the end that is the best you can do. Concentrating on not stressing over the outcome is when you will achieve the best results.

Just think — you are nearing the end of another year.  May as well make the last part worth it! 

Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.