element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Must See Christmas Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Must See Christmas Movies

It’s that time of year again. The sun disappears to no man’s land at 4pm, every time you step outside you regret not bringing your gloves and the summer was a hazy memory of the past. However, as we take one giant snowball throw into the festive season over the next few weeks, we must remember one FANTASTIC part about this time of year… the movies. I can’t think of anything better than snuggling up with my significant other/dog/friend/mum to pop on a Christmas movie, drink mulled wine/any wine and eat minced pies/anything. When it’s chilly, wet and dark outside this is how you should be living. So here goes: a shortlist of the HC favourites, must-watch movies for this festive season…

1. Love Actually. A modern Christmas classic… hilarious British comedy following many love stories across the world! Looking at all types of love in all types of places… from flings in Portugal with Colin Firth (who falls in a lake and gets a lovely see through shirt) to a sneaky Professor Snape having an affair with a younger lady. Full of big names, dance movesfrom Hugh Grant and a lot of laughs. If you love British humour, you will love this.
  1. SANTA! OH MY GOD! I KNOW HIM! We of course arrive at Elf as a human growing up as an Elf in the North Pole, life must be tough. LOL jk, what a dream. But Buddy the Elf decides he wants to venture from the North Pole to find his family and discovers what life is really like trying to spread Christmas spirit to the busiest people on the planet. Not to give it away but there is a lot of love, spaghetti and a bit of singing involved.
  1. Home Alone, yet another classic Christmas film. We all remember the tv and video player getting rolled into our classrooms to watch this beaut at Christmas time. There are about a million of the home alone films… so what is wrong with having a movie marathon on a chilly day with hot chocolate? Absolutely nothing, it’s a must do. Laugh out loud funny and a great movie to watch with the mini family members!

1. The Holiday, another rom com we all love. Christmas in the country with snow, wine and Jude Law, or in L.A. with a pool and Jack Black. Which would you choose? I would THOROUGHLY enjoy being snowed in with Jude Law. A winter warmer with a lot of romance and ‘awww’ moments! Glorious for a girls night in.

1. Fancy a bit of a vintage film? Its a Wonderful Life is the best of the Christmas bunch. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Great for Christmas Eve when you’re snuggled up on the sofa with your family and mulled wine. An angel is sent to help a grumpy man realise how much of an impact he has made on people’s life – this film is timeless, providing tears and a feel good factor. It’s unlikely but if you haven’t seen this film before, this is the year to introduce yourself to the old school movies.
Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.