The Most Common Misconceptions About Christianity!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

First of all, let’s get one thing clear. Our religion is not based on judgement, condemnation or hatred of all things different. Christianity is mean to be about L.O.V.E! Even Jesus Christ said “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” Based on the previous sentence, we can’t seem to see why the media depicts organisations such as the Westboro Baptist Church or a few Christians who take to Twitter to kick up a storm about a disposable coffee cup not being decorated by Christmas ornaments to be representative of the entire Christian faith?

We suppose that this wouldn’t be only a problem for Christians but nearly all religions. In the light of recent events, Muslims have been put under scrutiny due to a small group of extremists. While we can’t say our “struggle” is nearly as severe as that of our Muslim brothers and sisters, we can somehow empathise.  

Due to the media not being able to do its job properly, we’ve decided to put together a Top 8 list of ‘Popular Misconceptions about Christianity’.

1.God does NOT hate fags

Unlike what the members of the Westboro Baptist Church suggest, being LGBT+ or any race other than white, will make neither God nor Jesus hate you. Pope Francis himself said, “if a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge?”

2.Not all Christians are Jehovah’s Witnesses

Some Christians get irritated by Jehovah’s Witnesses as well – you’re not alone.

3.We don’t care about disposable cups!

Yes, Christmas decorations are cute but they are an added bonus, not a right! Plus, with Starbucks being an international company, they have to cater to religious and non-religious people all over the world.

4.We don’t hate other religions

Obviously we have to justify why we believe what we believe in, but so do members of other religions and we respect that.

5.Christians are not Morally Superior

As much as we try to be honest and refrain from sin, we are humans at the end of the day. We sin just as much as the next person. That’s why we have Christianity, to help us think twice before we do something stupid… *guilty face*

6.Not all Christians are against Sex Ed

Of course there are puritans within our community, however as time has evolved so has the church. Nowadays you can find churches that teach about sex and safe practices. There are certain things which you are likely to encounter in life, and no matter what religion (or lack thereof) you choose to stand for, you want to be prepared.

7.Christians aren’t all fake

Granted there are people who ‘preach about water but drink wine’ but that can be found in all religions. There are still Christians who pray, fast, go to church and read the Bible.

8.Not all the denominations of Christianity are the same

Different churches have different ways of operating but at the end of the day, what ties us together is that there is a God and He gave us his only begotten son, Jesus Christ, who died on the cross for our sins.

Image sources:

Starbucks cups https://johnbelovedhabib.wordpress.com/2015/11/11/caution-contents-may-be-hot-the-problem-with-starbucks-and-the-war-on-christmas/

Raibow http://freethoughtblogs.com/godlessness/files/2014/12/000.jpg

Cross http://www.santabanta.com/wallpapers/christian-symbols/

Fourth year Business management & Psychology student, shameless One Direction fan and a fashion enthusiast.
+South African/Burundian +Spiritual, Global Citizen, Winter Worshipper, Human Rights Activist, Slightly Dark Minded, Novel Lover, Football Fanatic and Poet
Hi, I'm Rachel! I am currently pursuing a degree in English and Politics at UofA, graduating in 2016. I love all things pink, sparkly and pug related. Proud to be President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.