This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

As much as I love dramatic, full-glam makeup looks I rarely have the time or means to sit down everyday and paint my face accordingly. Therefore, over the last year or so I have really focused on creating a quick and easy routine that is minimalist and natural, while still remaining polished. Here are my essential products for a simplistic and minimal makeup look.  

1. Skincare  

Skincare is the most essential part of this look and while your skin doesn’t need to look perfect or airbrushed (mine certainly doesn’t) it is important that your skin is moisturised and ready for makeup to be applied smoothly over the top. Everyone’s skin is different so it would be impossible for me to give a recommendation that is good for everyone, but finding a routine that works for your skin will make this whole process a lot easier.  

1. Clear brow gel  

Your brows are one of the most prominent features of your face, and while a full glam look may require you to use three different products that take an hour to apply, a minimalist look certainly doesn’t. Just slick your eyebrows back with a clear gel – I really rate glossier’s boy brow – to create a polished look without the fuss of powders, pens or pomades.    

1. Translucent powder  

This may be controversial but for the ultimate minimalist look, I tend not to wear any base makeup at all bar a light dusting of a translucent powder to mattify and blur any imperfections without covering my skin underneath. Laura Mercier’s translucent setting powder is a cult favourite, but my ultimate recommendation would be the Fenty Beauty  Invisimatte blotting powder, it is so smooth, feels great on the skin, and doesn’t create flashback  

1. Cream blush  

I think cream blush is the most effective way to get some natural colour to your face without looking like a lot of makeup. While you can definitely use a powder blush to achieve the same look, a cream blush tends to blend easier and can add a dewy effect to your cheekbones. Either using your fingers or a stippling brush to pat and blend the product across your cheekbones, and a touch on your nose, for that sunkissed look. My favourite blush of all time in the Fenty Beauty Cheeks Out Freestyle Cream Blush, which comes in a range of shades for all skin types.   

1. Mascara  

The eyes are the centre of the face, and swiping your eyes with some mascara can really pull this look together. For a heavier look, I would apply liberally to the top lashes and then carefully apply the product to my bottom lashes to lengthen the lashes and open up my eyes. For a more natural look I forgo using mascara on my bottom lashes, and on occasion I have used my clear brow gel instead of a black mascara  for a super natural look.  

Iona Hancock

Aberdeen '22

PGDE Primary 21/22 @ Aberdeen 1st Class Honours in Politics and IR @ Aberdeen