Millions to Build, Millions to Fix: Duncan Rice Library Fault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Aberdeen University’s famous Sir Duncan Rice Library opened its doors officially on the 24th of September 2012. Costing £57m, housing more than a million books, featuring 760 glass panels and seating more than 1200 students the Sir Duncan Rice Library is an architectural wonder. Winning numerous awards for its design such as the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) award in 2013, the building really is something to marvel at.

However, despite its seeming success it has come to light that there is one major design fault with the building. The main feature – the ‘hole’ in the floor is causing staff and students at the university some concern. Weakening the whole structure, the floor appears to be dipping inwards at a rate of 0.5” on an annual basis. Whilst this may seem very trivial, over time the result will render the library unusable unless something is done. As a result of this slight ‘bend’ in the floor, a number of the book shelves closer to the inner of the building are tipping slightly forward causing books to fall.

Aside from the financial implications associated with resolving the issue, the disruption to student learning is extremely concerning. Costing an estimated £9.4m and an estimated 7 months to complete, the repairs and preventative measures being implemented within the building are being considered as a huge blow to the university.

One 3rd year student reportedly said, “it seemed stupid to me in the first place to put a huge hole in the floor, and this has just proved my point”. The Principal of the University has said that plans to support students during this disruptive time are being put in place, but the plans are yet to be revealed.

Watch this space for further updates.

*UPDATE* Psssst… April Fools!

Lisa Howe

Aberdeen

Aspiring to be a Disney Princess. Lover of gin and coffee. 4th year economics and management student. (Listed from high-low priority).
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.