This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

HCAU: Hi Kate! We want to know all about your university experiences, some of your likes and dislikes, and just generally more about you as a person! How are you feeling? 

Kate: I’m feeling good! It’s great to finally be back in Aberdeen and I’m looking forward to things feeling more normal after the strange year we’ve had.  

HCAU: I’m glad to hear that, let’s jump right in and get started! What made you want to join HCAU? 

Kate: I have always loved literature and at school I was an avid writer, but when school got tougher, I no longer had time to write. Overtime, I lost, or forgot I guess, my passion for writing. This was until my third year when I saw an advert for a HerCampus Aberdeen Brunch. I went along and everyone was so friendly and encouraging I was inspired to join and start writing again! 

HCAU: What about being vice social sec? What made you decide to go for this role? Any exciting plans up your sleeve? 

Kate: I feel events are an important part of any society. They help to build a sense of community and you get the opportunity to get to know people a bit better. Last year, I think I managed to attend almost all of the events planned and I found every single event so much fun and everyone was very friendly. Given how difficult the last year has been, these events were very important to me, and I was grateful everyone had is so nice. These events, and everyone that attended them, really inspired me to go for the role because I wanted to make people feel as welcome in the society as they made me feel.  

As for this year’s events, you’ll have to wait and see, but I will tell you we have got a whole host of events we are incredibly excited to share with you! 

HCAU: We can’t wait! We hope you’ve been enjoying your summer, have you been up to anything interesting? 

Kate: With covid I haven’t been able to do much other than walks with my dog and picnics with friends/family. But it was nice to have a relaxing summer, especially since the weather was so nice this year! 

HCAU: All good things must come to an end, and the end of summer starts with going back to university. Any advice for newcomers coming to Aberdeen University? 

Kate: Don’t be afraid to try something new. There are so many societies on campus and you might find you have a secret passion for a society you never thought you’d join. Also never pick morning classes, you will live to regret it.  

HCAU: We’ve got a few quick-fire questions for you; we hope you are ready! 

Dinner OR Drinks? 

Dinner! 

Favourite Movie? 

Oh that’s easy! Stardust has been my No.1 movie since I was a kid haha, I don’t think it will ever change. 

Main meal OR Dessert? 

Dessert! 

Favourite Aberdeen night out? 

Hmm nights out are nice but I think I’d prefer a night in with friends – cocktails, pizza, and scary movies are more my vibe.  

HCAU: Well, that’s all the questions we had for you. Thank you for your time and we look forward to attending the events you’ve planned! 

Masters student at the University of Aberdeen!