This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

HCAU: Hi Carlyn! We want to know all about your university experiences, some of your likes and dislikes, and just generally more about you as a person! How are you feeling? 

Carlyn: Hello, I’m fab, thanks! I am so buzzing to be back having graduated from my English degree last year. I am now doing a postgraduate in Literatures, Environments and Places and I can’t wait to be back learning about the literature I love to study – is that lame? Classes on campus this semester are also a HUGE deal and I’ll be so happy to be back in our stunning university grounds for a reason other than my daily government assigned walk. 

I love all things music and book-related! The loss of gigs over lockdown has been so sad but the number of books I’ve managed to get through as a replacement has increased massively – you win some, you lose some lmao. 

HCAU: I’m glad to hear that, let’s jump right in and get started! What made you want to join HCAU? 

Carlyn: I joined HCAU in second year with my flatmate at the time. We both loved the idea of being able to write about literally whatever we wanted, whether it was relevant to anyone but us or not. We were also drawn to the socials and the ‘sleepover’ vibe that a lot of them had. Our nights in are just as amazing as our nights out and the society always made me feel like I was part of one big group of best friends. I joined the committee in my third year as an Editor, became Head Editor in my fourth year, and am back again as Vice President in my postgraduate year! 

HCAU: Amazing! What made you decide to go for the role of VP? Any exciting plans up your sleeve? 

Carlyn: Running for VP felt like the logical next step as a member of HCAU. I was already finding myself wanting to be more involved in the leadership side of things as Head Editor, so thought it would be a fun way to challenge myself and see how I got on! Working with Meg has been so easy so far and I am so excited for that partnership to continue over the coming semesters.  

Being able to have our socials in-person this year is a huge source of excitement for everyone in the society now, and we are so keen to make them so good we make up for the lost year. We’re also hoping to get as many new members as possible with the Freshers Fayre being back too and continue pushing charity events as much as we possibly can to, again, make up for all the lost time. 

HCAU: We can’t wait! We hope you’ve been enjoying your summer, have you been up to anything interesting? 

Carlyn: I started a new job which has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made! I’ve also picked up running as a hobby which, let me tell you, was never something I thought I’d enjoy, but it has honestly made me so much happier and so much more energetic. I also graduated… but we didn’t get a ceremony so it doesn’t count, whoops. 

HCAU: All good things must come to an end, and the end of summer starts with going back to university. Any advice for newcomers at Aberdeen University? 

Carlyn: Join societies!!! It’s so scary and nerve-wracking, but benefits it has for your confidence, social life and overall university experience is so valuable. Push yourself to broaden your horizons and talk to new people – that other person sat on their own at a Freshers event could be your next best pal. Remember you are not alone and everyone has to start somewhere. 

HCAU: We’ve got a few quick-fire questions for you; we hope you’re ready! 

Dinner OR drinks? 

BOTH at the same time, come on. 

Favourite movie? 

Everyone knows I have a soft spot for Cars lmao BUT I also love Bridget Jones. 

Main meal OR dessert? 

The main meal is always the star of the show. 

Favourite Aberdeen night out? 

Mine was definitely our Shit Shirt Night we had when I first joined the society in second year. More generally though, you can’t go wrong with a night out at Vodka Rev or Rev de Cuba – I love a cocktail more than a club, I can’t lie. 

I'm a 22 year old student from North Wales studying MA English Literature at the University of Aberdeen. You'll find me writing about anything and everything from the horrors of imposter syndrome to Phoebe Waller-Bridge's latest revelation.