andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Long Distance Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Long Distance Relationships

When you hear the term “long distance relationships”, you can automatically think somebody is talking about being away from their boyfriend or girlfriend. However, being away from your best friends and family can be just as heart breaking as being away from your significant other.

I’ve spent the last two years of university in a city two hours away from my home, so I have had some experience of being away from people I love. Now for my first semester of third year I’m studying abroad in Tennessee, two hours now seems like nothing. So here’s some things you might have to deal with in a long distance relationship and how to overcome them…

Craving a night out with your girls

Even though you might make fabulous new friends and have amazing nights out, you’re going to miss your girly nights back home. Most people have either Facebook or Whatsapp so create a group chat if you haven’t already to keep up to date with your best friends, and make sure to let them know you’re missing them! I’m sure they’re feeling exactly the same. You don’t want to wish away your time at university or run home a lot, but make plans for when you’re going to go back home and get thinking of fun ways to spend quality time with your squad!

Phone calls

If, like me, you call your parents regularly, it can be difficult to always find the time to catch up with them, and being in a different country makes it especially tough as you might be worried about spending lots of money on calls and texts! It’s also going to be strange not being able to see their faces very often, so FaceTime is a godsend when you’re missing your beautiful besties and family.

Send cards and letters

Technology is great for helping people to keep in touch, but when you’re far away it’s nice to get something a bit more special and personal. So, be a bit old fashioned and either become pen pals with your friends, or just send them some postcards to let them know what you’ve been up to.

A card I sent one of my besties when she got her first job after graduation 

Start your own book club or watch the same TV shows

Since you might not be able to spend time with your friends or family, this is a fun way to chill out, but also have something to talk about. If you need some inspiration for something to watch and haven’t already started it, Stranger Things is great, and it’s on Netflix, which makes it easy for everyone to watch!

Time differences

Something I’ve been finding quite difficult is living somewhere that has a six-hour time difference from home. So, if you’re studying in a different country, try to work out what time everyone will be free to chat and you’ll need to become quite patient having to wait for people to reply to you!

Make sure to enjoy wherever it is that you’re studying, it will be over before you know it, but also please know that it’s okay and totally normal to be home sick and get FOMO. Your family and friends will understand if you need to have a vent, moan or cry to them.  As my sister recently told me, “The more adventures and out of comfort zones you take/the harder the times are, the stronger you become.”

Photos from: https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13895356_10207978739090389_6724815713147874983_n.jpg?oh=75db9a5be4b8d5d36e64395241681971&oe=583886C0

http://wanna-joke.com/tag/snoop-dogg/http://weheartit.com/entry/41064348/via/angela_coulter and Her Campus facebook 

I'm in my fourth and final year studying journalism at Robert Gordon University but I write for Aberdeen University. Xoxo