This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

#JeSuisCharlie

On Wednesday 7th January, two armed men attacked the offices of French satirical magazine ‘Charlie Hebdo’. Twelve people were killed, including the magazine’s editor, several cartoonists and two police officers.

If you don’t know much about Charlie Hebdo I suggest that you do some research on them. The magazine satirises religion, politics and culture through cartoons mostly, and claims to be anti-racist and very left-wing. As a satirical magazine they are prone to creating controversial and “conversation-starting” pieces of work. I only suggest that you do your own research, because, as you would expect from some of their cartoons, they were prone to causing not only hilarity but also serious offence- so I will let you make up your own mind about them. Regardless of anyone’s opinion, the success and influence created by the magazine cannot be denied.

It has been heavily suggested that the attack was in response to cartoons the magazine published that could be seen to poke fun at the prophet Muhammad. These included nude caricatures and in 2011 the magazine renamed itself  ‘Charia Hebdo’ (in reference to Sharia law) for one of their magazines, was “guest-edited” by Muhammad and showed a cartoon of him saying “100 coups de fouet, si vous n’etes pas morts de rire!” which translates to ‘100 lashes If you don’t die of laughter!’ In the same year the magazine’s website was hacked and the offices were firebombed. The magazine was aware of its controversy but continued to illustrate and publish caricatures regardless. Charb (Stéphane Charbonnier, the editor of ‘Charlie Hebdo’) who was killed during this attack said in 2009 that he would ‘rather die standing on my feet than living on my knees.’ Charb had previously received death threats and had been living under police protection. Witnesses heard the attackers shouting ‘We have avenged the Prophet Muhammad’ and ‘God is Great’ in Arabic. The gunmen opened fire in the offices before escaping by car.

At Her Campus, though we are not a satirical, nor a controversial magazine, we all support freedom of expression and are truly heart-broken to hear about this awful tragedy. No matter what your beliefs are, you are not given the right to kill another human being who does not share these beliefs.

The slogan, or hashtag of ‘Je suis Charlie’ (I am Charlie) was adopted after the attack as a badge of support for Charlie Hebdo and for freedom of self expression.

The response to the attack has been overwhelming, with crowds of huge numbers gathering in the streets of Paris and other cities. Journalists and cartoonists from all over the world have been creating powerful artwork in memory of those who died.

Lucille Clerc

David Pope

Bernardo Erlich

‘The world has become so serious that humour is a risky profession’

Francisco J. Olea

‘Grab your weapons mates!’

Twelve people were killed during the attack. Their names are as follows:

Jean Cabut, who was also known as ‘Cabu’, 76. He was the magazine’s ‘star cartoonist’. He had a trademark look of a bowl-cut hairstyle and round glasses and had a great love for jazz.

Stéphane Charbonnier, ‘Charb’, 47. The editor of ‘Charlie Hebdo’ since 2009. He always assumed that he would be on an al-Queda death list and claimed that his only weapon was his pen and was quoted saying ‘Though I don’t think you can cut someone’s throat with a crayon.’ He embraced all good jokes, tasteful or not.

Geores Wollinski, 80. The oldest of the victims and had an obsession for sex and the irrelevant. A figure for the 60’s generation, he grasped his love for cartoons from comics he received during World War II.

Phillippe Honore, 73. Had worked for Charlie Hebdo since 1992 and had also worked for many of the big French publishing and press companies during his career.

Bernard Verlhac, ‘Tignous’, 57. Author of several graphic novels and caricaturist for Charlie Hebdo. 

Bernard Maris, ‘Oncle Bernard’, 68. Bernard wrote a satirical weekly column for the magazine and was one of the shareholders and financial bankers.

Elsa Cayat, 54. The only woman killed. She was a psychiatrist who wrote on social issues for the Charlie Divan column.

Mustapha Ourrad. The magazine’s proof-reader.

Michel Renaud. The founder of the travel writing festival in Clermon-Ferrand in central France. He had been invited to the editorial meeting when the attack happened.

Frederic Boisseau, 42. A maintenance worker and father of two. He was shot in the entrance hall of the building after giving the gunmen directions to the magazine’s offices

Franck Brinsolaro, 49. The police officer assigned to protect Charb and also a father of two. He, like Charb, had received numerous death threats in the past.

Ahmed Merabet, 42. Local policeman who was murdered as the gunmen fled from the scene.

Charlie Hebdo updated its’ website shortly after the attack saying:

‘Because the pen is always above barbarism. Because freedom is a universal right. Because you support us’

The magazine published 3 million copies of its’ magazine the following week with this front cover:

‘All is forgiven’

Her Campus Aberdeen extends its thoughts and prayers to Paris, to Charlie Hebdo and to the families affected by this brutality. ‘Nous sommes Charlie.’

Journalist’s images from Google images & Buzzfeed article: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/heartbreaking-cartoons-from-artists-in-response-to-the-ch?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpgp#.dnLENQ5aG

Information about the deceased from: http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0108/671257-the-12-who-died-charlie-hebdo/

Currently in fourth year studying English at Aberdeen University and LOVES being an Editor for Aberdeen University's chapter on Her Campus. Obsessed with Leonardo DiCaprio, cocktails and things glittery.
Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.