I’m In Love With The Cacao

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

The Great British Bake Off. The name itself sends chills of excitement down some people’s spines. Everyone has heard of it. Even us broke, oven-less students. If you haven’t heard of it, you probably aren’t from nor even remotely interested in the UK. Shame, shame.

But wait. Why is the bake off so bloody exciting? What makes it such a phenomenon? What’s so special about it that even busy people with crazy lives (ehrm, me) make time on that late Wednesday night just to watch it?

“The Great British Bake Off” is no doubt the most popular TV show in the U.K. and one of the most successful cooking competitions of all time. It has grown into a wildly popular cultural phenomenon in the U.K. since its original premiere on BBC Two in August 2010. It was even the most popular non-sports TV broadcast in the U.K. in two and a half years! Apparently, people get excited over a bunch of home bakers smacking around butter, flour, eggs, and sugar.

The Bake Off is strangely addictive. And it’s not difficult to see why. The show has a nice serenity that is just pleasing to the eyes and ears. Who wouldn’t get engaged in such a rigorous competition? Stressing over the meringue, begging it doesn’t collapse, the overjoyed ecstasy when the ganache or croquembouche turns out exquisite.

Not to mention, the UK is a nation of bakers. We bake for almost every possible occasion. So in general, it’s easy to see the appeal of the Great British Bake Off. It has helped people rediscover the art of baking. Baking is a fun, money-saving, wonderfully time-consuming hobby. And those without the skills to do it themselves love to watch it unfold on screen.

What’s even more exciting, the Bake Off craze is spreading. We have many versions, perhaps the most popular one being the Turkish Bake Off, filled with dancing and joy. And not to be forgotten, even the United States are bringing the Bake Off to the big screens *EXCITEMENT INTENSIFIES*!

All in all, don’t be ashamed of your baking passion. It’s normal to be jealous of Mary Berry’s career. To fear those deathly blue, judgmental Paul eyes. To wish you could just taste that classic Victoria Sponge hiding behind the glass of the telly. So next time you feel bored, pull out your apron, whip out some ingredients, and “Ready, set, BAKE!”

Just a confused dreamer with her head in the clouds and sarcastic humor to spare. Also, BuzzFeed, if you're a hirin' I'm readily desirin'
Hi, I'm Rachel! I am currently pursuing a degree in English and Politics at UofA, graduating in 2016. I love all things pink, sparkly and pug related. Proud to be President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.