This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Who’s the sharpest shooter in the West- Chuck Norris? Nope! Introducing Louise Cameron:

Sometimes interviewers are lucky enough to find a ‘Sharp Shooter’ interviewee; these types of interviewees aren’t afraid to hold any information back and, with their honesty and candidness, you can’t help but feel welcome and at ease. Louise shot Her Campus with her lovable personality that was so sharp; it pierced right into our brain’s cortex (in other words, she’s memorable). Louise is a student at the University of Aberdeen and identities as a queer lesbian. To find out more about this spectacular woman, we dove a little deeper into her life and here’s what she had to say:

HC: Tell me about your childhood?

L: When I was younger I was rather tomboyish, but my parents would enforce feminine clothing on me. I never felt comfortable, so sometimes I would steal boy’s clothes. I also preferred swimming in “boy’s” (As society norms would label it) trunks. Once in gym class, my teacher told me I couldn’t swim in trunks anymore and it really hit me hard; I cried.

HC: When did you decide to “come out the closet”?

L: Since my first crush was a girl, it was pretty apparent that I was lesbian, so I came out when I was around 15. All my friends where bisexual and gay so it wasn’t hard “coming out” to them. When I told them, they said they already knew.

HC: How did your family react to you “coming out” as Lesbian?

L: My mom was really upset, she cried a lot. She always referred to my girlfriends as friends.

HC: Have you ever been harassed or abused for you’re sexual orientation?

L: Someone has shouted at me in the streets when my girlfriend and I showed PDA. At times I also get the guys who fetishize my sexuality and that’s why I don’t like going to clubs because I get harassed by heterosexual men.

HC: If you don’t go to clubs, how do you have a good time in Aberdeen?

L: I normally stick to house parties, but sometimes my girlfriend and I still get the question: “so who’s the man and who’s the women?” It’s none of their concern!

HC: Do you think University of Aberdeen is accepting of LGBT+ community?

L: I think they are accepting of diversity but I’ve noticed sociology and psychology lectures can be rather queerphobic and transphobic. The lectures are rather heteronomative and follow binary scale rules.

HC: If you could go back in time, what would you say to your 6-year-old self?

L: Nothing really, I’m pretty content with myself. I know who I am and I’m proud to be who I am.

Big thanks to Louise for talking to us! 

+South African/Burundian +Spiritual, Global Citizen, Winter Worshipper, Human Rights Activist, Slightly Dark Minded, Novel Lover, Football Fanatic and Poet
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.