you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I’m Coming Out (Part 2)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

What do you get when you mix sugar, spice and everything nice?  Just a big mess of sugar, spice and nice things. Speaking of everything nice, meet Lucy!

If you haven’t at least had a five-minute conversation with this amazing human being, then stop what you’re doing and go hunt her down (to talk and get to know her obviously…). Lucy identifies herself as a transgender queer. She’s a student at the University of Aberdeen and she’s one of the sweetest people you could ever hope to meet, kind of like those drunk girls who compliment you whom you meet in the bathroom of clubs. So that you can get to know a little bit about her as well, here are a few things she shared with us collegiettes:

HC: When did you first realise you are “different”?

L: Most people would say they’ve know their whole life but in all honesty, I would say I was around 8 years old.

HC: How did you deal with the fact that you felt different?

L: I didn’t really handle it well, people use to label me as gay starting from the age 8 to 12, needless to say it really bothered me. When I was 13 years old, I would tell people that I was homophobic, I think it was also a way of me lying to myself.

HC: Have you told your parents about your sexuality yet?

L: It’s actually just me and my mother. I told her when I was 17, at the time I had a boyfriend and it just felt like it was about time. Plus my aunt had already figured it out through Facebook. She actually called me the same day I was about to tell my mom to find out if I was going to tell her.

HC: How did your aunt find out via Facebook?

L: A friend of mine had actually posted the song I’m coming out by Diana Ross, so I guess she figured it out from there. Also I was a bit of a twinkish 13 year old.

HC: How has your family reacted to you “coming out”?

L: My step brother and sister are ok with it, I guess… My mother was upset because she’s got Victorian values and some of my family members are queerphobic.

HC: Have you ever experienced discrimination or any form of abuse?

L: I grew up in the south of England, a very rural area so I’m not surprised that there are a lot of ignorant people. Once I was in bar and I used the men’s restroom, one of the guys in the restroom called me a female c*nt. When I went out, I continued to receive verbal abuse and no one did or said anything. I just left.

HC: I know that lots of places don’t have gender-neutral bathrooms, so how do you deal with that?

L: Sometimes I have to strategize, because even though our library has gender- neutral bathrooms, you don’t really find them in other buildings. I sometimes go into bathrooms depending on how I’m dressed.

HC: So do you think Aberdeen University caters to transgender people?

L: Well, I guess they acknowledge the transgender community because they have a wide range of options in gender questions, but when I get my degree, they want to put my birth name. I would prefer if they asked me the name I would like on my certificate. Also I don’t see strong trans-orientated activities, and I don’t think the gender-neutral bathrooms in the library where done with trans people in mind.

HC: On a more lighter note, what do you think of Aberdeen’s LGBT+ scene?

L: I think for a small city it’s alright, Cheerz is terrible though. I also think people are more accepting in Aberdeen but you do get the occasional insults, non consensual contact or people who tend to gender interrogate.

HC: What would you have told yourself 10 years ago?

L: I probably would have told myself to just live and to try not to kill myself later.

HC: What would you say to anyone out there who is still finding themselves?

L: The most important thing is your safety and comfort. As long as it’s possible for you to “come out of the closet” then go for it. There is a programme set in place for LGBT+ people who don’t feel safe or are struggling with coming to terms with their sexuality, it’s part of the LGBTQ forum and its called Queer Best Friend Programme.

Well there you have it, readers, Lucy in the flesh! Thank you for chatting with HC, Lucy! XOXO

For those who are interested, you can contact the Queer Best Friend Programme on: lgbtq.forum@abdn.au.uk

+South African/Burundian +Spiritual, Global Citizen, Winter Worshipper, Human Rights Activist, Slightly Dark Minded, Novel Lover, Football Fanatic and Poet
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.