Her Story: 3 Years Of University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Her Story: 3 Years at Aberdeen University 

My reflections:

As I am rapidly approaching my final year at university, I cannot help but reflect on the three years I have spent in Aberdeen. Not only have I learned that my academic capabilities are so much higher than I could have ever imagined, I am a stronger and better person than I was three years ago. With the prospect of days spent in the library and stressing over my dissertation, I realise that there are many things that I would like to do in Aberdeen before my time at university is over. I also realise that I need to acknowledge the wonderful things and people that have come into my life thanks to being at university.  Although fourth year is still months away, I feel it is time for me to realise that one year is going to go by faster than ever, and I need to be prepared. This is a reflection on my time at uni so far, but it is also an inspiring ‘letter’ to myself, which hopefully when I read back in September, will motivate me, and help me through my final year.

Few people are fortunate enough to still live with the people they shared a flat with in halls, or even be friends with these people, but I am. My two flatmates, Aimie and Gillian, are not only the girls I live with, but they are my best friends. Without them, I’m not sure if I would have been able to deal with many of the things that have happened during my time in Aberdeen. We support each other through everything and although we can clash sometimes, we always come back together. These girls are definitely a blessing and deserve medals for putting up with me for as long as they have. Realising that the next year will be our last year living together inspires me to make it count, to do all the things together that we’ve been telling ourselves we would do since first year. Even though we will be hunched over our laptops and books, we will make sure that our last year as a three will be one to remember.

Fourth year is when everything gets very real. From speaking to people in the year above me, I know that it will be intense and draining in every sense. Although the deadlines will be hitting me thick and fast, I am determined that I will give everything 100% to ensure that I get the best grades I can. Everything up to this point has been simply about passing, but everyone wants to graduate with a good grade. I have always been someone who plans essays weeks in advance and panics if something isn’t complete two days before the deadline, which although sounds crazy, I feel my strictness with planning will help me manage my fourth-year workload (famous last words right there!).

I don’t intend for this article to come across as soppy and depressing, so I’m going to lighten things up by writing down my fourth-year bucket list. Hopefully this time next year, I can write an article about doing everything on my bucket list!

1. Take a trip to Stonehaven! I have NEVER been and I want to go to the famous chippy and eat Instagram worthy ice creams on the beach.
  2. Complete a Breakout Game: There is a place in Aberdeen where you can do breakout games. You get locked in a room and have to look for clues to find the key that unlocks the room! Although I would probably end up shouting and falling out with some people, breakout games sound so much fun and an amazing way to procrastinate.
  3. Eat an ice cream at the beach without being attacked by a seagull: Last time I got an ice cream at the beach, it was viciously snatched away by a group of seagulls. My goal is to consume an ice cream WITHOUT being attacked, this is the one goal I feel I will not achieve.
  4. Go to a Ball: I have never been to a ball during my time at Uni, while all my friends seem to have been to one. In second year, I queued up for St. Andrew’s Ball tickets and was unsuccessful but I feel before I graduate I should go to at least one ball!
  5. Go on the Big Wheel at Codonas: I have seen Instagram pictures and other photos of the view you get from the top of the big wheel and it looks amazing. Maybe we should have a HC Codonas day and get cute photos in the big wheel?
  6. Make a University Photo Album: I made a scrapbook with lots of things from first year, but haven’t added anything from second or third year. I want to make a cute album for photos, mementos, and random things I’ve kept to remind me of all the fun, carefree and amazing memories that I’ve made.

Do you have your own bucket list of sorts to complete before finishing University? If not, these few ideas may be a good place to start! HCXO

Image: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/aberdeen-university-b…

Holly Judge

Aberdeen '19

MA English Graduate 2018 and PGDE Secondary (English) student 2018-19. President of Her Campus Aberdeen 2018-2019