Image depicts Casper Libero University
Image depicts Casper Libero University
Original photo by Laura Ferrazzano

Her Campus Cásper Líbero: Brazil’s First HC Girl Gang

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Her Campus Cásper Líbero is Brazil’s first Her Campus chapter, located in the city of São Paulo, in Latin America’s first journalism and communication school, Cásper Líbero, founded in 1947.

Our university is relatively small, as we only have four courses on our campus: Journalism, Advertising, Radio and Television and Public Relations. A big difference from the Brazilian educational system is that we do not have a major/minor system, here you study knowing in advance which major you want to graduate from (we chose before doing our version of the SAT!).

In our chapter, we have two Campus Correspondents: Carolina Grassmann and Laura Ferrazzano. In early 2020, they both became CC’s, Presidents and Editors-In-Chief and, now, Carolina is also the Events Director, and Laura is the Arts & Design Director.

Carolina and Laura are both studying Journalism, and are in their final year of college. They will both graduate in December 2021. Before being CC’s, they were Writers/Collaborators in their first year, then became Features Editors in 2019.

HC Cásper Líbero has, currently, 101 team members, and over 300 monthly collaborators. At the end of last semester, in December 2020, we became an Elite Level Chapter, something that has been a goal for a very long time! To achieve this level, we started posting from 20 to 30 articles every week.

Our routine | Her Campus Cásper Líbero

We post daily in our social media accounts, on Instagram at least twice a day, and that number is way higher on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest, in which we post more than 5 times a day. Our chapter has recently started posting on Tik Tok, and the number of videos we post there varies, but it’s at least twice every week.

On YouTube and IGTV, we have an incredible team of girls who post 5 to 7 videos every month, talking about various subjects, such as makeup, music, politics and, of course, there is always a good recipe involved!

In our chapter, we really value the opportunity that we have to talk about social issues. We often post articles on our website and on our social media pages supporting feminism, talking about the Latin American affairs, the Black Lives Matter movement, LGBTQIA+, Indigenous People and Asian rights.

The current status of the Covid-19 pandemic in our country is alarming, and because of that, we understand we have a responsibility with our followers to share the health care guidelines, but also to give them entertainment in the form of videos, articles and posts to get them through – at least a little – the lockdown.

Every year, HC Cásper Líbero has a “Take a Picture For LinkedIn” event for everyone that is interested. However, in 2020, we were unable to make it happen because of the pandemic, and it took us a while to understand a good method to keep everyone interested in remote events.

Our Events team is focused on having, at least, one virtual event every month. We’ll start the year off with a workshop to learn how to edit videos in Adobe Premiere, and we’re very excited about that. We also have had incredible Zoom hangouts with our team members throughout the one year we have been all social distancing, and it has been keeping us all close.

Recently, to try to make the girls feel part of a group and have this safe space to talk and be distracted, we launched our official book club! We already have over a hundred girls from our team and from our campus in the group and we are very proud of this project!

It is worth mentioning that here, in Brazil, it looks like we’ll be socially distancing through the entire year, since our government, unfortunately, hasn’t been taking the pandemic and the healthcare crisis seriously. College students – people in their late teens and early twenties – will only get vaccinated later in the year, if everything works out.

However, at HC Cásper Líbero, we definitely feel like we have our safe place, in which we can be creative and have a group of incredible women to support us.

Get to know a little more about us, Carolina and Laura:

Carolina Grassmann | Her Campus Cásper Líbero

Hey, HC Aberdeen! I’m Carolina Grassmann, and it’s very exciting to be a part of the Her Campus Sister Chapter Pod. I have been involved with my Her Campus chapter since my very first days of college. When I published my first article, that was the first time I felt like a journalist!

I have such great memories of my early days on HC Cásper Líbero and, to this day, it’s one of the best parts of my college experience. I love that I get to be creative and work with such an empowered, inspiring and incredible team of college women.

My most favorite memory has to be my first ever meeting as a CC, before the pandemic, in February 2020. Before college, I was very shy and quiet, and on that day, I felt like I was becoming exactly who I wanted to be. I presented, alongside Laura, HC Cásper Líbero to everyone who had just become a team member (back then, a little over 30 people). I felt very proud of myself, and it’s a memory I hold very close to my heart.

I’m also an intern at TV Cultura, a television network in Brazil. I have been working there for over a year, and it has been an incredible learning experience. Since March 2020, I have covered the events of the pandemic, posting articles about culture, health and politics. As a journalist, I’m very interested in writing pieces regarding human rights, culture and entertainment.

I’m currently reading Normal People, by Sally Rooney. I’m also a huge swiftie, and I have been a fan of Taylor Swift since 2009 – when I first saw the video of You Belong With Me!

Laura Ferrazzano  | Her Campus Cásper Líbero

Hi there! It is a great pleasure to be writing this article for you from HC Aberdeen! I’m Laura Ferrazzano, like you’ve read above, one of the CCs from Her Campus Cásper Líbero and it’s so amazing to be involved in this Sister Pod experience!

Like Carolina, since I set foot on campus, I’ve always been involved with Her Campus. The initiative to write and be together with other content producers so inspiring has always motivated me a lot. I learned a lot and always felt that I was part of something super special.

I think one of the most beautiful memories that we all cherish as a chapter was the day that we became an Elite level last year. Not only because of what it means in Her Campus community, but especially because we got to achieve this together in a very unpleasant social and political scenario.

I am currently a reporter and host of a Brazilian entertainment website called “Todateen” (it is basically our version of Teen Vogue). I love my job and I feel that I can really do a lot of things that I am passionate about. I write articles on behavior, health and lifestyle editorials. I have also had the opportunity to interview incredible artists and I am very grateful about that.

I am totally a bookworm and I even have a bookstagram to share my literary experiences (follow me if you want on @mnemosine.club). Literature has always been a big part of my life, but with the pandemic I ended up being able to connect more with this whole universe and it has been great. I’m currently reading a book by Becky Albertalli called “Yes, No, Maybe So” and loving it! I’m a huge fan of Sally Rooney (I even convinced Carolina to read, lol!) and Tahereh Mafi. I am passionate about cinema and acting too! I hope to be able to work in that field at some point.

I think one of the most incredible parts of our profession is this opportunity to find new stories, meet different people and exercise empathy. I graduate at the end of this year and, even if the butterflies in the stomach appear, I am confident that life will be good regardless of anything. I also forgot to mention that I’m a total wanderlust, I hope I get the chance to visit the whole world someday. My playlist is packed with a lot of Sufjan Stevens and I’m also a big The Office fan.

It means a lot to think about the strength that we, all together, have when we work as a team. In addition, I think that all meetings – in person or not – are beautiful moments to create long-lasting relationships with so many wonderful women. Her Campus is, in fact, a symbol of affection and strength here for us. And I think that itself is already revolutionary.

Get to know more of Her Campus Cásper Líbero:

Website: https://www.hercampus.com/school/casper-libero

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hccasperlibero/

Want to start a HerCampus chapter at your university? Just follow this link for more information!

cuore in allarme journalist, writer, artist and everything else in between ✉ laurapferrazzano@gmail.com
Carolina is a national contributing writer and was formerly a summer and fall 2021 editorial intern at Her Campus. She's a Brazilian journalist and writer, and she's very passionate about TikTok, coffee shops, and Taylor Swift.
Second year Psychology student @ University of Aberdeen