This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Over the past few years, there has been growing concern over the unethical practices of many popular, large businesses. This has led many to search for more ethical and affordable alternatives. Unfortunately, this can often be a challenge as the marketing algorithms used across every social media platform seem to favour big businesses. Therefore, we at Her Campus Aberdeen decided to get together and compile a list of our favourite small businesses for you to check out. Supporting small businesses is incredibly important, even more so in the current economic climate, so hopefully this list will encourage you to start shopping small. Happy shopping everyone! :)

Aesthetic Laundry

Aesthetic Laundry is a stunning wee clothing business. Heidi started this brand because she never really felt comfortable with herself in high street clothes. Therefore, she aims to make clothes that make people feel great about themselves. Heidi also loves to display their clothes on a diverse range of bodies and recently did a remote photoshoot with women up and down the country. You can check Heidi’s work out on Instagram at aesthetic_laundry where you may even notice our very own Chloe Weir who took part in one of the photo shoots!

April’s Nails Aberdeen 

April is an incredible independent nail technician who does the very best acrylics and gel manicures. Her nail art is insanely good and she’s the loveliest person too! Our Vice President Ellen swears by her and her nails are always the envy of the whole society. You can check out April’s nails on Instagram at April.Nails_Abz to see for yourself.

Bodhi and Birch

Abigale makes scrumptious dog treats to spoil your dog with. She offers a variety of different flavour combinations all of which are handcrafted, sustainable, and 100% dog friendly. She also makes fluffy dog blankets, snoods, and bandanas so your dog can stay warm (and look fashionable) in the cold weather. You can find her store on Etsy at BodhiandBirch.

Handmade by Hol

Holly makes stunning handmade polymer clay earrings in gold, cream, and white. These amazingly comfortable earrings are lightweight and super high quality which make them great presents, or the perfect treat for yourself. You can check out Holly’s beautiful jewellery on Instagram at handmadebyhol and Etsy at HandmadebyHolShop. 

Heather Maxwell Art

Heather is a full-time art history student at Aberdeen who commissions beautiful canvas pieces. Whatever you want, Hev will bring it to life on canvas. She has also recently been expanding her artistic horizons and experimenting with embroidering, and upcycling clothes too. Go check out Heather’s work on Instagram at hmaxwellart to see how much time and love goes into her creations. 

HolliepopHomeMakes

Hollie makes a wide range of beautiful earrings at very affordable prices so that anyone can buy a pair if they want to. She is also a huge lover of animals and enjoys donating some of the money she makes to local animal charities. You can find Hollie’s earrings on Etsy at HolliepopHomeMakes.

Nectar and Bumble

If you are into stationary and all things bee related you’ve come to the right place. Amber makes bee-themed stationery and homeware that will be sure to get you buzzing. Go check out all of Amber’s cute stationary on Etsy at NectarandBumble.

Meru Mandalas

Gabrielle makes hand-painted custom canvases all of which contain original designs. She also sells an assortment of other handmade crafts, from earrings to prints, which are all absolutely stunning. You can find her work on Facebook at merumandalas or Etsy at MeruMandalas to see all of Gabrielle’s gorgeous artwork and crafts for yourself. 

Pip & Ell 

Piper and Isabella make the most fabulous polymer clay earrings in a variety of shapes and colours that are guaranteed to make you smile. Piper is also a recent graduate from Aberdeen University and a genuine sweetheart! Go check out their cool designs for yourself on Etsy, Instagram, and Facebook at pipandell. 

Re-Made Creations 

Eilidh and Rhiannon are from Lossiemouth and they make breath-taking jewellery from sea glass that they collect on the beach in their spare time. Rhiannon is also a fellow student at Aberdeen University and studies Primary Education full-time. So go support their business and treat yourself to some handcrafted jewellery. You can find them on Instagram at re_madecreations or on Etsy at ourremadecreations. 

Sapphic Magic Tarot

Moomie creates sapphic versions of tarot cards that she uses in her prints, fabric, and jewellery. Everything she creates is magical, and her earrings especially are a must have, so go check them out on Etsy at SapphicMagicTarot. 

Solana and Somoh Beads

Solana and Somoh offer handmade bead jewellery in a wide array of colours that are sure to brighten up your day. However, you will have to move fast as their stock is often snapped up within hours of releasing it. You can find them on Etsy at solanaandsomohbeads.

The Paper Circus

Corran makes the most beautiful origami earrings. Her earrings come in a range of colours and you can even order custom designs. Also, for you book and music lovers out there, you can order origami birds and butterflies made out of book pages and sheet music. You can find her on Etsy at ThePaperCircusShop.

Kate Moran

Aberdeen '22

Kate Moran | They/Them Psychology Student