ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

HC Travels: Sardinia

My Sardinian friend once told me: “You have to expect something to go wrong when you come here.“ Perhaps this is why after several visits, I still can’t get enough of Italy. I have travelled the north, the south, Sicily, and this summer – Sardinia – and none of these trips were the same. Whenever we visited and wherever we went, there was either a random carnival happening in the streets, a celebration in the name of one saint or the other, or even a local beer festival.

For this trip I decided to dust off an old analogue camera I found at home, and I invite you to relive Sardinia with me through these pictures.

We stayed in Bosa, a riverside town known for its colourful houses.   

Possibly my favourite thing to do in Italy is walking through the narrow streets and passageways, completely surrounded by the atmosphere created by the locals.

We also visited Alghero, the nearest larger town. The historical centre just stole my heart. I can’t point out what exactly it was, maybe the amazing architecture, the everpresent pink bicycles to celebrate the 100th Giro d’Italia starting in the town, or the random parade of drummers and dancers passing through the streets. Perhaps all of it.

I love how alive Italy is in the evenings. People don’t seem to be sitting at home. Everyone is outside, it feels like everyone knows each other.

Another day I loved was when I got to meet my friend and her family. We did a bit of sightseeing, had an amazing lunch consisting of local delicacies (think mussels and shrimp), and finished it all of at Is Arutas beach. This beach is unique for its tiny little pebbles, which in pictures resemble white sand.

Of course, many other great adventures were had, such as renting a rubber motor boat and snorkelling along the coast, queueing for ages to order the best (and cheapest) pizza in town, or eating various sea creatures and getting tipsy on craft beer at the local beer fest. You know, the random little adventures, where the camera is best left in the safety of your airbnb apartment. The owner of which stated there would be aircon and wifi. There was none. Still love Italy.

How was your summer? Any unexpected adventures (because let’s be real, those are the best)?

All Photos: Barbora’s Own

Fourth year Business management & Psychology student, shameless One Direction fan and a fashion enthusiast.