This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

HCAU Review: Hidden Figures

I’d seen a lot of buzz online surrounding the new film Hidden Figures so decided to check out an unlimited screening at the start of the month, and it did not disappoint!  The film is based on the true story of three extraordinary female mathematicians, who worked for NASA during the 1960s and helped America send astronaut John Glenn into space.  Don’t be put off if space isn’t your thing though, as this film is about so much more.

Lead by a star cast of Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monae, Hidden Figures brings attention to three women who have never received the recognition they deserve for their work.  The film successfully portrays the continuing struggles the lead characters faced being held back because of their race and gender, and highlighted their incredible work, as well as touching moments in each of their lives.

This is all supported by the film’s fantastic soundtrack, featuring original songs by Pharrell Williams, so get ready for lots of feel-good music!  In a recent interview about the film, Katherine G Johnson, portrayed on-screen by Taraji P. Henson, said: “Go see Hidden Figures, and take a young person.  It will give them a more positive outlook on what is possible if you work hard, do your best and are prepared.’

The film has many emotional and heart-warming moments, but will also have you laughing out loud.  It really does stick with you once it’s finished and I would definitely recommend!

HC Rating: 5/5