This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Being Swedish, I was practically raised on cinnamon buns. They are my favourite thing to both bake and eat, and I think everybody should know how to make a good bun. I have therefore translated a recipe my mother and I have used for as long as I can remember, and I hope you will enjoy it as much as we have! 

This recipe should yield around 30-40 buns, depending on how big you make them 

Dough ingredients: 

• 125 grams unsalted butter 
  • 5 dl milk 
  • 20 grams dried active yeast r 50 grams fresh yeast 
  • 1 dl white sugar 
  • ½ teaspoons salt 
  • 2 teaspoons ground cardamom 
  • 800 grams plain flour (not self-rising) 

Filling ingredients: 

• 125 grams unsalted butter 
  • 1 dl white sugar 
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon 

For topping: 

• 1 egg and a splash of milk 
  • Traditionally pearl sugar, but feel free to get creative 

Instructions: 

1. Add milk and butter to a saucepan. Heat it up until the butter is melted and then let cool until lukewarm 
  1. If you are using dried yeast then add to milk and butter mixture and leave for around ten minutes until the yeast is foamy and bubbly. If using fresh yeast then crumble into a bowl and move immediately to the next step 
  1. Pour mixture into a big bowl and then mix in sugar, salt, and cardamom. Gradually add flour while stirring with a big spoon. Start kneading with your hands when the dough is starting to become more “stiff” 
  1. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and flexible 
  1. Let dough rise under a towel for 30 minutes. If your kitchen is cold, then you can put the bowl next to a radiator, or in the oven at a very low temperature 
  1. While the dough is rising mix together the filling ingredients 
  1. Use a rolling pin (or a wine bottle) to roll out the dough into a roughly square or rectangular shape, which should be about a cm or less thick 
  1. Spread the filling across the dough, make it into a roll, and then cut the roll into an appropriate number of buns 
  1. Let rise for another 30 minutes on a baking tray covered with baking paper 
  1. Preheat oven to 225-250°C, give buns an eggwash and any toppings. Bake the buns for 5-10 minutes 
  1. Eat an absurd number of buns! 
Economics nerd, wannabe photographer, and bread enthusiast