HCAU Members: Where Are They Now? Jessica Caie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

I had the chance to catch up with our social queen Jess about what she’s been up to after the gave up the throne and went into the big bad world!

HC: Tell us a little bit about what you’ve been up to since graduating from Aberdeen?

JC: So, I stayed in Aberdeen with my boyfriend and went straight into what I thought was my dream job. I got to do what I loved and stay in the city I loved. But I quickly realized that corporate life just wasn’t for me. We spent a year and a bit up in Abdn and then moved back down to the central belt in October of last year. Being closer to our families and friends has been such a treat after living in Aberdeen for 6 years! Since moving back, I have got a new job at the University of Stirling and I have gone back to school to become a counselor. So things are moving pretty fast right now!

HC: That shows such courage for you to realise what you want changed after the time at university and gone after it! What has been the most exciting part of your post-graduation life?

JC: I think watching all my friends flourish and realize their career and post-graduation life dreams has been such a privilege and so exciting! It took many of us a while to get on our feet but as I have caught up with people (shout out to RHQ and Rhona circa August 2017 London reunion) its so nice that we are all finally doing what we love!

It is also so exciting to be back in education. I missed the university life terribly when I graduated. I’m doing it slightly differently this time by doing it part time and at night, but my classmates are so lovely and it’s nice to be learning something I have wanted to do for a long time!

HC: How about the scariest part?

JC: I think the scariest thing was realizing that I wasn’t enjoying my work and accepting that pursuing a career based on my degree wasn’t necessarily what I was going to end up doing. It was quite daunting knowing that I had spent four years learning something to realize that it wasn’t what I wanted to do with my life.

But, despite this whole ‘I’m not using my degree’ fear, I don’t regret a single second of my university career. I met so many interesting people, found the love of my life (Shout out to Matt), and helped RHQ realize her HC dream and spend 2 years being part of the HC Aberdeen journey which is so humbling. I learned SO much during those four years and they still impact my post graduate life every single day!

HC: University is definitely the place to meet all kinds of people. We know you went back to Edinburgh after a while spent in Aberdeen after graduation. What is the absolute best thing about being back home?

JC: I have a really close relationship with my family and it has been unbelievably wonderful being around the corner from them again. It’s also great being near my forever friends again too. But the absolute best thing about being back home is that I’m happier and healthier in myself and that is so important! Oh, and being able to see my dog every day. She is a solid 15/10.

HC: But then again, what do you miss most about Aberdeen?

JC: I miss the ease of living in the city. Everything is close and you can walk everywhere. I live in a small town called Larbert, and you can’t get anywhere without a car or some other form of transport.

I also miss Kilau coffee, who’s flat whites are the best in the world! If you’ve not had one yet, you’re missing out and the night life! 69p Vodka mixers are a blessing so everyone should cherish them while they can!

HC: As you were the social sec of our wonderful HCAU, do you have anything you’d like to teach the upcoming social sec’s as our AGM comes closer and people are getting ready to follow in your footsteps?

JC: Oh my gosh, I honestly miss the pink ship committee life so much! It was hands down the best year of my university career. I think social sec’s job is certainly the most interesting committee position because you get to know so many members on a really personal level. You will meet so many interesting people on your journey and will learn so much from your team (Shout out the events team of 2016!).

I think my advice I would give is to listen to everyone’s ideas and try and make everyone’s HC dreams a reality. Also, be super organized but flexible because things change ALL the time! Be grateful for your committee and work together as a team!

HC: What would be your words of wisdom for those in their finals semester of university? Any pro tips or must do’s?

JC: Do everything that you have always said you would do but haven’t yet! You’re running out of time! Also, book a graduation trip with your university friends because it might be the last time you’ll all be together for a long time because everyone moves to different places and it gives you all one last hurrah before becoming ‘grown ups’.

Quick fire:

Beach or skiing holiday? BEACH

Tea or coffee? COFFEE

Aberdeen or Edinburgh? EDINBURGH

Music concert or music festival? FESTIVAL!

Thanks for giving us this lowdown and we hope to see you soon in Aberdeen again! Perhaps it’s time for a HCAU reunion soon!

.