Career

HCAU Dream Careers: Then and Now!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

So, I took a trip down memory lane and started thinking of the countless careers I have ever dreamed of having over the years. This right here is a collection of all the amazing jobs our HCAU members wanted to be when they were younger, along with their current goals!

Emma:  I have wanted to be loads of things… A tractor driver (age 4), a popstar (9), vet (12) and a flight attendant (at 15, until I realised the sad truth that I will not get tall enough for that…). Currently, I have no idea what I want to do when I ‘grow up’ but something where I can work with, and perhaps help other people would be nice. “

Jade: When I was 9 I always wanted to be a spy. My dream job now would be to work in MI5 (so technically still a spy) but I’m currently doing a Philosophy degree and who knows where that will take me.”

Shannon: “When I was little I wanted to be a beautician so badly, now it’s my worst nightmare”

Iona: “I wanted to own my own pastel coloured bakery in a tiny cobbled street when I was about 11, there’s a tiny part of me that still wants it to happen…”

Meridyth: “Age 5: part-time vet+ farm girl+ pop star+ princess – all at the same time! Age 11: anything to do with horses (still do tbh). Currently though I just really want to work at Lush.”

Zachary: “Age 6-10 a maths teacher; 10-15 doctor; 15-17 an astrologer or a forensic pathologist; 17-now political journalism”

Emily: “I wanted to be a marine biologist but then I realised I hate fish and biology”

Julia: “I wanted to be a veterinarian! Age 4-10. Then I realised I was afraid of blood lol. Now I am studying politics and international relations and I would love to be involved in sustainable development around the world (specifically in relation to politics, economics, and education).”

Jacqueline: “I wanted to do human rights law when I was 11/12, I took law at A level and started the first year of law at undergrad but then I took a break when I had my boys. When I returned to my studies I had changed paths. I am now doing theology and religious studies and thinking of going into pastoral care”

Amy: “Up until I was 16 I wanted to be a combat medical technician in the army, mainly due to growing up in an army barracks and just wanting to help people. Now I’m doing a legal studies and Psychology degree which is completely different from what I always wanted to do but I’m still not sure what I actually want to do in life”

images sourced from Google Images 

Emma Mailanen

Aberdeen '21

Finnish. Psychology-sociology student.