HC Travels: 10 Days in Dubai

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

This year during Spring break I took the plunge, travelling 7 hours across the planet to visit one of my best friends for ten days in Dubai. I was able to tick off so many things on my bucket list whilst eating, drinking, enjoying the sunshine and undeniably falling in love with this amazing City. 

After booking the flight three months previously, I meticulously stalked Dubai blogs and Instagram pages, to the point where I ended up being served breakfast by an Emirates air steward I had stalked on Instagram (lol), until I had a list of things I wanted to do.

After my trip I came up with the best things I did, ate and experienced so that whenever you make the trip, you don’t have to!

1. Dubai mall, the biggest in the world, is a must. I stayed in Downtown Dubai and the walk from my apartment there was so pretty. Plus in the evening you can watch the fountain shows before you go in to shop in one of the 1200 shops, have dinner or ice skate (a necessity in any mall, obviously).
  2. Shake Shack was a top priority on my list; not very Arabian but the cheese fries are life. I’m always a returning customer!
  3. A visit to JBR beach at the Marina is a great way to spend the afternoon. There are loads of cute places to eat and you can buy fresh coconuts and juice on the beach all while tanning, which to me is the perfect holiday combination! 
  4. A brunch was at the top of my list and as my friend turned 21 while I was there we decided Saffron Brunch at Atlantis was the best option, as we knew it was definitely more about the drinking than eating. Starting off our day with a glass of prosecco and a watermelon cocktail for breakfast was definitely fun, although probably not wise…
  5. Eden beach club was the best way to spend the Saturday after brunch lazing on our sun-beds or giant inflatables, drinking juice and attempting to banish the hangover.
  6. Going out for breakfast is one of my all time favourite things to do. I was lucky enough to be staying right beside Fume, theeee best place for breakfast. The waffles, baked eggs and smoothies were delish.
  7. Madinat Jumeirah is a resort designed to resemble an Arabian town and being a little more traditional is just such a lovely place to wander around. It was the perfect place to do a bit of shopping for more typical Arabian pressies to take home and a great spot for dinner with a view of the Burj Al Arab.
  8. One of the best nights out we had started at Toko, a bar and Japanese restaurant, the food was amazing and as we went on ladies night we were brought complementary wine and martinis all evening, which was a bonus!
  9. A desert safari wasn’t something I had heard of before but after going it should 100% be top of your list if visiting Dubai. Dune bashing and camel rides are definitely not something you do everyday and obviously the desert is the perfect backdrop for any Insta pic.
  10. Last but not least it’s important to just relax, enjoy your surroundings and spend days at the pool drinking from coconuts and working on your tan!

All photos are Kitty’s own.

Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.