This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

There are HEAPS of great movies out in the cinema just now, and being in the midst of awards season we felt it was time for another HC CineGuide! 

SPOTLIGHT

Tom McCarthy delivers an outstanding piece of cinema with ‘Spotlight’, telling the story of the group of investigative journalists from the Boston Globe who began to uncover the Catholic Church’s child abuse scandal. However don’t let the subject matter put you off; it deals with a very serious issue very tastefully, and the focus is on the journalists/ those working to protect the Church. Any coverage of victims is through their reflections as adults. Receiving the Oscars for best picture and best original screenplay, as well as another 4 nominations (including best directing and supporting actress/actor for Rachel McAdams and Mark Ruffalo), it is a must-see.

HC Popcorn Rating: 5/5!

ZOOLANDER 2

No one quite knew what to expect when it came to light that Derek Zoolander would be once again be gracing our screens, but I for one was very excited. Zoolander 2 returned after 15 years with Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson (two of the world’s most ridiculously good looking people) finding themselves somewhat unknown. Turns out that since the last installment, Derek’s life seems to have fallen apart after losing his wife in a tragic accident and having his son taken away from him. This light-hearted movie follows Derek as he tries to win his son back, once again facing his nemesis Mugatu (Will Ferrell). Though it didn’t quite live up to the first one, nevertheless Zoolander 2 is a fun filled hour and a half to keep the spirits high.

HC Popcorn Rating: 3.5/5

DEADPOOL

Are you highly sensitive to gore? Then this is probably not the film for you.

Do you have a dirty sense of humor and a keen taste for action films – particularly X-Men spin offs? Then this is definitely the film for you; see it immediately! But if full on action isn’t your sort of thing, you can push through the grisly fight scenes to find that there is some romance and a pretty decent story line in there. Ideal for viewing with a significant other to hide behind when it gets messy!

HC Popcorn Rating: 4/5

THE REVENANT

This movie has been talked about in superlatives and, if not for anything else, it will go down in history as the movie that finally gave Leonardo DiCaprio his first Oscar! The movie (inspired by true events) is an emotional journey, and it is questionable whether or not the beautiful, soothing scenes capturing nature make up for the stress you endure; you live through the story alongside Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio), a man abandoned by his crew during an expedition. It is a story of survival and revenge but, admittedly, I found myself asking “At what cost?”- is it even possible for a person to have so much persistence and endurance within, when realistically most of us give up after dropping something to the floor (you know that feeling, when you don’t have the power to do more than stare at said object like it has wronged you)? Wouldn’t it be easier for Hugh to just give up? Apparently not! (Fun fact: Despite being vegetarian, he ate raw bison liver for the movie to maintain the authenticity of the scene. Now that is dedication. 

HC Popcorn rating: 3/5

Which movie will you pick to see this weekend??

4th year Sociology & International Relations student/ HC chapter editor at the University of Aberdeen. Sharing my thoughts on life, current affairs, media and occasionally baking.
Fourth year Business management & Psychology student, shameless One Direction fan and a fashion enthusiast.
4th Year Journalism student studying in Aberdeen.
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.