This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

The lights  dim, the curtains open, the music is blasting in your ears and the first ensemble of the new Sibling collection floats down the runway. This is a world belonging to Anna Wintour, Naomi Campbell and Karl Lagerfeld.

However, thanks to British fashion council, even mere mortals like you and I (apologies if you are reading this and you are not a mere mortal) have the opportunity to live in Kate Moss’ world for a few days. What are we on about? London Fashion WeekEND!

We came, we saw and we conquered and now we are ready to share our wisdom with you, because we’re that nice.

Please be advised of the bare essentials needed to embark on your journey: money, your laptop (with internet preferably), a trusted friend or loved one, money, a killer outfit and most importantly MONEY.

Purchasing Tickets

Out of all things you shall be doing to prepare yourself for your great adventure, this is probably the most important step! Tickets can normally be purchased online at www.londonfashionweekend.co.uk. All you need is a working computer, Internet and of course money. The great thing about the programmes is that there are different types of tickets that range from different prices. Of course the most expensive ticket gives you a slightly better experience but as student, just sitting in a high end fashion show was good enough for us.

Travel

This is might be the trickiest part because this is when you have to put your bargain hunting skills to work. If you’re not one for long distance bus journeys or car rides then your best option is flying. No not in your dreams, but in an actual plane. We found that the cheapest and most effective airline is EasyJet. Their low prices make it suitable for students on a budget. Bear in mind that ticket prices normally increase on Fridays and weekends, so it’s best to travel on the Thursday and return on Monday.

PS: Planes are cheaper than trains – who’d have thought?!

However, if you do choose to fly with EasyJet, you’d have to take a train from Gatwick airport to London. We personally used the Gatwick express, which sells tickets for as little as £10.

Accommodation

The best thing about finding accommodation in London is that there’s always something available. Unless you have family residing there or any other free accommodation options, finding a place in London can be hella expensive! If you have the money then we’d say treat yourself to a hotel! If you are students like us on a teeny budget, then your best option is Airbnb. You can find the cheapest prices for accommodation and generally they offer great living quarters. We were able to find a really cute studio in Notting Hill for no more than 30 pounds each per night and bonus point: it wasn’t too far from Hyde Park and the venue for London Fashion Weekend.

Getting Around LONDON

You should probably just walk! Although London is big, we found that everything was accessible. For the more fortunate ones among us, who have the financial capabilities, you can hail a cab or request an Uber. If you’re really not the walking type, there’s always the tube. The plus side of walking is that you get to soak up the true London atmosphere.

The Big Day

Since you buy the tickets for a specific day/time, unless you want to invest in multiple tickets, there’s going to be the one Day with a capital D (no pun intended), where you get to go and experience the fashion madness in full blast. Besides attending the fashion show of your choice (which, to be honest, was one of the most fabulous experiences of our lives), you get the opportunity to walk around the venue (which in our case was the famous Somerset house) and shop designer pieces for much less than the standard price, visit a Maybelline beauty salon, or just sit down and have a coffee in a chic little café on the site. Plus, you get to pick up a goodie bag (designed by a British fashion designer) full of handy treats for free!

For the fashion show, its best to arrive at least 30 minutes early if you want to nab a great seat (second row, since the first one is usually reserved for those who bought special front row passes). There’s also two types of fashion shows to choose from – designer or trend. The trend shows present four upcoming trends for the next season using models from various British designers, while the designer shows allow up and coming designers to showcase their work. 

One last thing – choose the right company! What could possibly be better than experiencing amazing things with your favourite people?

Fourth year Business management & Psychology student, shameless One Direction fan and a fashion enthusiast.
+South African/Burundian +Spiritual, Global Citizen, Winter Worshipper, Human Rights Activist, Slightly Dark Minded, Novel Lover, Football Fanatic and Poet
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.