Great Winter Holiday Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

With exam hell over, nights getting darker, days getting colder and our heating bills getting higher, HC are proud to present FREE HOLIDAYS FOR EVERYONE! Okay not really, but you can read about them, and this article might tempt you to book a last minute holiday somewhere for your Christmas break or for over New Year!

Personally when I think of winter holidays I think of long days skiing, hot chocolates and big cosy log fires (and maybe a few beers)! Hopefully this will give all you lovely readers an idea of where you might jet off too for that snow, sun or city break this Christmas!

Let’s start with my favourite type of holiday, the ski holiday!

1. Les Gets (France)

• A fantastic resort for everyone, whether you are heading off with friends or family. Plenty to do from skiing and snowboarding (obviously) to ice skating, sledging and even just chilling in some super cosy cafes! With access to 650km of piste there is something to suit all skill levels.
  1. Sauze d’Oulx (Italy)

• Situated in one of the biggest ski resorts in the world, the Via Lattea (or ‘The Milky Way’ to those not fluent in Italian). With access to numerous other resorts including Sestriere, Cesana, Claviere and Montgenevre this is a great place to head if you’re a competent skier and looking to cover a lot of ground on one lift pass!
  1. Val Thorens (France)

• With a 6 day full area lift pass costing 280€ and access to La Folie Douce for apres ski need I say more about why you should hit up this resort this winter?! It’s one of the best places to ski for young people who want to ski all day and party it up all night.
  1. Hintertux (Austria)
  • With the glacier meaning guaranteed skiing (no need to worry about early season snow) as well as a brilliant snowpark for those brave enough, Hintertux is a perfect location for the more daring winter sports enthusiast!
  1. The Cairngorms (Scotland)

• And for those who don’t feel like venturing abroad, Aviemore is always a cracking option for a bit of winter sport action closer to home! Okay you might not get the best snow or weather but there are plenty other activities to fill your time if you don’t get up the hill. And after a hard days skiing, my advice is to head to the Old Bridge Inn for some 5* food.

Alternatively, for those who wish to spend their winter break doing something a little more sophisticated a city break to one of these places might be for you!

1. Amsterdam (Netherlands)

• Sure it’s still pretty cold here, but it’s not too busy, so you can squeeze in all the attractions you want to as you don’t waste time queuing. A canal cruise is an absolute must and a visit to the Heineken Experience is high on my list of recommendations.
  1. Prague (Czech Republic)

• Insider information delivered to you lovely readers from a Prague local advises us to visit Prague Castle, wander round the Petrin Gardens and meander over Charles’ Bridge either late at night or early in the morning!
  1. Edinburgh (Scotland)

• Unless you’ve been living under a rock I’m quite sure you are aware how fantastic our capital city is at New Year! A street party and a ceilidh in the Old Town are just some of the things you can get up to. Personally I would recommend fitting in a tour of the Edinburgh Gin Distillery!

Finally, for those who just want a little vitamin D head off to one of these two destinations for that Winter Sun we are all dreaming of!

1. Canary Islands (Spain)

• Any of the Canary Islands are a good choice: Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Tenerife…With an average temperature of 19°C and a flight time of just under 5 hours, this seems like a strong contender for beach chillin’ and cocktail sippin’ when everyone’s freezing back home!

10. Cape Verde

• Definitely not the cheapest option out there, but with an average temperate in January of 26°C this could be a definite possibility for the sun worshippers out there. Endless opportunities for days out and beautiful beaches, what more could you want!

Lisa Howe

Aberdeen

Aspiring to be a Disney Princess. Lover of gin and coffee. 4th year economics and management student. (Listed from high-low priority).
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.