Feed 4 for under £10 – Sausage and Smokey Bean Casserole

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Have you recently come home drunk and woken the whole house? Are you always taking long showers and using up the hot water? Or are you the messy one of the house?

Do you need (or simply want) to earn some brownie points with your friends/family?

This is an easy, one-pot, smoky casserole dish that will warm the hearts (and bodies) of all, and won’t cost you and arm and a leg!

Ingredients:

8 Lincolnshire sausages

2 peppers

2 medium carrots

3 sticks of celery

2 teaspoons of smoked paprika

1 teaspoon ground cumin

2 cloves of garlic

12 ripe tomatoes (plum or cherry)

500ml passata

1 can of chopped tomatoes

1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard

2 (400g) tins of beans (I’ve opted for Kidney and Cannellini Beans)

Total £8.62 – Bought from Tesco

Method:

• Start by prepping the vegetables.  Trim and slice the celery, peel and slice the carrots, and chop up the peppers.
  • Heat up some oil in a big pot, and prick the sausages and cook until brown (around 5 mins). Remove sausages and put aside.
  • Add the celery, peppers, carrots, and garlic and cook for around 10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the veg begins to soften.
  • Next, add all the spices (paprika, cumin, and mustard), season with salt and pepper, and cook for a further 2 minutes, and then add all the remaining ingredients (drain the beans first!).
  • Give everything a good stir, and push the sausages so they’re just under the surface and bring everything up to the boil.
  • Turn the heat down to a simmer and continue to cook with the lid slightly agar for a further 30-40 minutes. Keep checking regularly to make sure that it’s not getting too dry – add a splash of water if needed!
  • Serve however you like! I’ve left you £1.38 in the ‘under £10’ budget so you can eat it as it is, or add a little bit of brown rice, or a side salad, or even a baked sweet potato!

Tips!

• I bought everything from Tesco and didn’t always buy the cheapest, own brand options, so this can be made even cheaper!
  • I like to throw in extra veg from recipes (tricking myself into eating healthier) and the carrots, peppers, and celery came in larger packs than needed for this, so just chuck them in if you want to add more (just add a little more liquid if adding more to the pot)! Also sub in and out different kinds of vegetables however you like!
  • Add a splash of red wine or throw in a can of beer for a deeper, fuller flavour! 
  • Sausages can be replaced for meat-substitute and be veggie and vegan friendly!

All photos: elle’s own