Kraft Mac N Cheese
Kraft Mac N Cheese
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Life > Experiences

Everything ADHD Episode 3: Brain Soup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Hi, I’m Kiera, and I’m addicted to cheese.

Just kidding… kind of. Brain chemistry is a huge part of ADHD. We can’t regulate our dopamine levels in the brain, which results in the typical traits you might see in neuro-spicy individuals such as myself. This results in a balancing act. Like lizards regulating their temperature using the environment, we regulate our brain chemistry. Using our dopamine slowly on high-priority tasks such as planning for assignments and research, then get a boost by doing something we love for a while. In conclusion, people with ADHD are lizards.

As you can probably tell by my random side notes, I made it through the day with a decent amount of dopamine to spare. Because of this, I’m now incredibly hyperactive. Therefore, we are once again taking a detour to discuss cheese. Yes. Cheese.

I love cheese, a dangerous game given I have a dairy allergy. So why cheese?Because this isn’t just me (pinkie promise).*adjusts lab coat* Cheese from animals contains a chemical called tyrosine. When ingested, this chemical is metabolised into dopamine in the brain. So, when I say that I need my hit of cheese, I mean it. But of course, this doesn’t directly reflect performance. To find a correlation I have performed an experiment.

Aim: To eat a lot of cheese. (not really) To discover whether eating cheese can directly impact academic performance.

Hypothesis :Cheese is great, a solution to ADHD? Eat cheese.

Method: Over a week I have recorded how much work I completed…

This was the point that I stopped. My dopamine ran out and I lost my chaotic passion. Normally, I would revise this article. Go back and edit it to make it flow better. Make it understandable. But I feel it’s important to show you what my brain looks like. In my article about balancing brain chemicals, I ran out of a fundamental one, and that’s okay. When we crash, it can result in low moods. Sometimes escalating into a depressive episode. I’m happy to report that after this, I felt okay. It wasn’t a great feeling, but I kept myself afloat. It’s okay to experience the ebb and flow of hormones and chemicals. It can make it difficult to function and think outside of your current emotion. But you’ll be okay, and eventually, anew wave of chaotic passion will come over you and drive you to be your incredible self.

Stay safe, stay healthy, and be gentle with your funky brain

Kiera Malham

Aberdeen '23

Hi, I'm a 4th-year Zoology student with a love for writing. I have far too many hobbies and love everything creative.