Emmy’s 2015 Round-up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Game of Thrones won big across the board at the 67th Emmy’s. The show had a record breaking night, winning 12 out of the 24 awards it was nominated for; the most ever won in the same night. These included the prestigious award of Outstanding Drama Series, Best Directing and Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for Peter Dinklage amongst others. Viola Davis also made history by becoming the first ever black woman to win Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series for her performance in ‘How to Get Away with Murder’, and Uzo Aduba became the first person to win Outstanding Supporting Actress in both a comedy and a drama after her second win for ‘Orange is the New Black’, which saw a category change this year. 

Other winners of the night were ‘Veep’, winning 4 awards including Outstanding Comedy Series, ‘Inside Amy Schumer’ for Outstanding Variety Sketch Series, and Jon Hamm finally taking away the award for Outstanding Actor in a Drama series for ‘Mad Men’ after 7 consecutive years of being nominated! The full list of winners can be seen here: http://www.emmys.com/awards/nominees-winners.

Overall this year’s Emmy’s celebrated a fantastic year of television, and it was great to see a significant number of female led shows leaving as big winners- as well as the records broken by Viola Davis and Uzo Abuda! Hopefully these successes will encourage more women to enter into the industry, and add to the great range of shows out there to keep us amused during our study breaks!

4th year Sociology & International Relations student/ HC chapter editor at the University of Aberdeen. Sharing my thoughts on life, current affairs, media and occasionally baking.
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.