This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Out of control crowds, traffic standstills and outbreaks of violence. Although this might sound like the start of a Zombie film, it’s actually a summary of the chaos seen across high streets as Black Friday joyfully coincided with payday weekend. A terrifying combination for those of us who work in retail as the crowds surge in, desperate to get as many bargains as possible and treating shop workers like they stole their favourite puppy when they don’t succeed.

(How it feels to work in retail on Black Friday)

It’s true that a lot of the Black Friday incidents have been hilarious- I saw one clip of two grown women playing tug of war with the last remaining giant Olaf toy (the Frozen cash cow craze could be a whole other article on it’s own). However, overall I find it quite concerning. It’s now got to the stage where people have actually died in the mayhem, and many others have received serious injuries from fights, falling stock and congestion. These occurrences are all too common- all in the name of trying to get a hold of the latest bargains in time for Christmas. The rate that this craze has escalated itself is quite concerning- a few years ago, Black Friday was generally unheard of in the UK- now look at us. Let’s hope in another three years time we haven’t resulted to full on trench warfare outside of shops.

It begs the question; has consumerism gone too far? There’s something unsettling about the follow up to Thanksgiving, a day celebrating being thankful for what you have, being a day of consumption driven frenzies. Of course, many of the items people hunt for on Black Friday are Christmas gifts for others- but in my opinion it still doesn’t justify some of the awful behaviour displays coming from “adults.” We are lucky in our society that the norm for most of us is indulging in material treats for ourselves rather than being in a constant state of panic wondering when the next meal will be. It’s time to consider this: put our time and effort into helping those less fortunate (Her Campus are taking part in a great shoebox appeal just now!), and save our fighting energy for many people who need our help for survival, not for our own greed.

(Police officers being crushed by crazed crowds)

Although easier said that done, the solution is simple. Before all Christmas shoppers start to look like extras in Shaun of the Dead, we should try and focus on what’s really important. Although Black Friday gives high street shops a great boost, which I fully support, I’d like to think it’s possible to enjoy a bit of bargain hunting without getting arrested or fighting. Thanksgiving (for those of us from the U.S) and Christmas should be time to celebrate all the good time’s you’ve had with those around you, and be thankful for everything they’ve done. A personal sign of appreciation to your loved ones should mean much more than a material good you’ve got in a crazed fight with some stranger over. So with this in mind, I hope you all enjoy the rest of the season, and try to behave yourself in shops- it is the season of good will right?

(Shoppers control yourselves!)

4th year Sociology & International Relations student/ HC chapter editor at the University of Aberdeen. Sharing my thoughts on life, current affairs, media and occasionally baking.
Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.