element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Christmas in Scotland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Christmas in Scotland

Coming from the South of England, nearly every person I’ve met has been surprised that I’ve come all this way to Scotland to study, particularly the grey city of Aberdeen. Aside from the normal pull factors such as the amazing scenery and Scottish traditions, I’ve come to love Christmas in Scotland. Therefore, I’ve compiled a short list of the best things to look forward to in Scotland this upcoming Christmas season!

1. The Edinburgh Christmas Market. As the capital city of Scotland, Edinburgh is known for its Christmas markets. Hot German food, churros, bright lights, ice rinks and lots of presents to buy your family and friends make this Christmas market not one to miss!

Source: visitscotland.com

1. Aberdeen’s Christmas Village, Lights Switch On Parade, and Christmas Tree Switch On. Walking down a transformed Union Terrace really got me into the Christmas spirit, and watching the parade of the 12 days of Christmas with some mulled wine (even though it was freezing cold!) was one of the best events Aberdeen put on in the spirit of Christmas! Watching the lights turn on one by one and the tree lights switch on really brings the festive atmosphere to Aberdeen!

Source: pressandjournal.com

1. Glamis Castle Christmas Market. Hosted in the stunning Glamis Castle, everything from arts and crafts, delicious wintery foods and a fireworks display truly show Scotland at its best. You’ll feel like you’ve wandered into a fairy-tale or the set of Frozen as you walk through the different stalls on a chilly evening.

Source: glamis-castle.co.uk

1. Glasgow’s Style Mile Carnival. On Sunday 27th November, the Style Mile Carnival will bring together a festive spirit, dance, music and Disney characters onto the streets of Glasgow. With participants from all over the city and the surrounding areas, this spectacle is a display by the community for the community, and is definitely one for the children!

Source: glasgowloveschristmas.com

1. And finally, one of the best events of the Christmas period is the Christmas Fair at Blairadam Forest in Dunfermline. One for all the family, the fair hosts crafts and gifts for last minute present buying, as well as a delicious assortment of local foods such as venison and turkeys for Christmas dinner. You can even choose and buy your own Christmas tree!

Source: visitscotland.com

I am a second year student studying Geology and Petroleum Geology at the University of Aberdeen! Soon to be embarking on a semester abroad at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver!