Campus Cutie: Pom Dance Captain – Miss Freya Gowans!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Age: 20

Hometown: Edinburgh

Studying: Politics and International Relations (Third year)

I’ve had the pleasure of this week’s Campus Cutie being my flatmate for the past couple of years – but for those of you who haven’t been so lucky I decided to introduce to you Aberdeen University’s first ever Pom Dance captain. Since I first met Freya we have had plenty of eventful nights out together so I know she loves a good drink (or few), and is always up for a laugh. When I asked where her favourite place to go on a night out in Aberdeen is, she replied: “I love a Monday night going to Paramount and then Nox, but I’ll always love a bit of Institute.” And as soon as I asked what the most embarrassing thing that has happened to her on a night out was, we both immediately jumped to her “falling flat on my face in the middle of Union Street.” But besides her love for a night out and cheap Paramount drinks, there is a lot more to this Campus Cutie…

HC: Tell me something that nobody knows about you?

FG: I’m a massive Star Wars fan. I’m literally counting down the days until December 18th (which is the release date of the next film, IF YOU DIDN’T KNOW!!!).

HC: Who is your biggest celeb crush?

FG: It usually changes depending on what TV show I’m addicted to at the moment. Last month it was Wentworth Miller from Prison Break, this month it’s Charlie Hunnam from Sons of Anarchy. I think I’ll love Zac Efron forever though.

HC: As a strong feminist, who do you find most inspirational to women and why?

FG: There are so many women that I find inspirational! I like a page on Facebook called ‘A Mighty Girl’ which has a new post everyday of inspirational women. As a politics student, women like Hilary Clinton and Michelle Obama definitely inspire me in terms of their careers. Also Emma Watson because I think she is amazing, and Beyoncé (of course) because she is Queen.

HC: What advice can you give to your new pom team?

FG: To dance with confidence, and to enjoy it!

HC: What frustrates you most?

FG: Bad manners, also people who don’t think before they speak.

HC: If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go? And who would you go with?

FG: I’d love to go to East Asia at the moment, it all just looks so amazing! I have always wanted to go back to NYC too though, as it’s definitely my favourite place in the world. I’d go with my mum, dad and two sisters because we always have the greatest time when we go away together.

Thanks for being our campus cutie Freya, and good luck to you and the rest of the pom dance team for the upcoming year! HCXO.

Third year student studying History and International Relations.
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.