Campus Celeb – Veronika Hoffman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

In the middle of the busiest time of the year we were lucky enough to have the pleasure of getting to know one of the biggest names on campus, Veronika Hofmann, AUSA’s Societies President.

Name – Veronika Hofmann

Age – 25

Hometown – Wherever my parents are! I grew up in Munich, Buenos Aires, New Delhi and Seoul.

Degree – MA (hons) International Relations and Sociology

HC: What made you want to be our Societies President?

V: Having been the Vice President then President of the Politics and International Relations Society and being involved in other societies, I had the experience and I know how societies work and what support they might need. I had lots of ideas I would have liked to see happen and I knew if trusted with the position my work would make a positive difference. But I also wanted to bring fresh ideas to our student activities, The Gaudie, Granite City TV and Aberdeen Student Radio.

HC: What are your main aims for the rest of the year?

V: I’m working on further developing the ‘Societies – What’s On’ events guide, I’m organizing the Autumn Ball for the 28th of November – it’s the first time this has ever been done! My Leadership Academy event series will support society presidents and VPs throughout the year, I’m currently developing AUSA’s first Societies’ Handbook with the view to help new committee members and students with setting  up brand new societies. Apart from all this do watch out for a ‘Paws against Stress’ session during revision where we will be hosting therapy dogs on campus, the Novemberfest on Monday, the 24th and lots of other fun events the 2nd term.

HC: How do you juggle your workload with life?

V: Haha, that’s a good question! I haven’t figured it out yet but I’ll let you know when I solve the mystery:)

Being a Sabb, especially Societies President where many of the events happen in the evening, does take a massive commitment but I do try to make sure to fit in time to hang out with my friends and go to the gym each week.

HC: What is the most challenging part of your job, and what is the most rewarding part of it?

V: Hardest: leaving the office! I do love what I do and sometimes I need to be escorted out at 9pm when they close Butchart.

Most rewarding: when I see societies and society members succeed with something they worked on very hard. I love when students come up to me with awesome ideas and then we make them work together. The leadership conference is the prime example of that. It was great to hear that so many people got lots out of it.

HC: What is your ideal weekend away?

V: I was actually in Dublin just now for a long weekend with my best friend. It was the perfect combination of relaxing, discovering the city and going out.

HC: Who do you most look up to, and why?

V: I’ve had several throughout different stages of my life:

• Definitely my sister. She is 12years older than me and has taught me so much about life.
  • My dad, he’s my biggest critic and fan.
  • Maya Angelou for her talent and the graceful way she fought for what she believed in.
  • Meryl Streep and Oprah Winfrey, just love them! 
  • Tina Fay and Amy Pohler for their smart and witty humour. 
  • The current and 14th Dalai Lama for his humble way of spreading peace and happiness.
  • And one of my lecturers during University, she was just brilliant!

HC: If those closest to you had to describe you in three words, what would they say?

V: They would probably say ‘positive, reliable and determined’ and ‘Efficient fun’!

HC: Outside of being Societies President, what is your favourite thing to do?

V: I love going to the beach or for a swim at the new aquatics center and really enjoy hanging out with my flat mates and friends in the evening and just having a glass of wine or share a nice meal.

Apart from that I love reading a good book or watch The Good Wife, House of Cards or Orange is the New Black.

HC: What is your favourite film of all time, and what does it say about you?

V: I have many such as Crash, The Young Victoria, The Hurt Locker, The Ides of March or Woody Allen’s ‘Annie Hall’ is great too. But my absolute favourite is the French movie ‘Intouchables’, I’ve never laughed and cried so much during one movie. It just touched me and showed me that sometimes we shouldn’t take things too seriously.

HC: What would be your best advice for anyone wanting to run for Societies President in the future?

V: I would say: if you really want to run find out about the role beforehand – what is it that societies really want to see happen, what do staff at AUSA do, what would you want to do and what is really achievable! It’s such a brilliant job and you can turn your ideas into reality if you work hard on it and include your committee.

If you’ll run, approach the people you know you’ll be able to rely on for your campaign team and committee. Teamwork gets you further  But most importantly,  believe in yourself and know how to actively listen to people!

Thanks so much for taking the time to speak with us amidst your hectic schedule Veronika! 

I am a 3rd year English and International Relations Student at the University of Aberdeen. My interests include, feminism, politics & animal rights. In my spare time I am a cheerleader, amateur cyclist, tattoo-getter, sofa-lover and novice knitter.
Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.