Campus Celeb: Ms. Jessica Cobbett

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

This week, I sat down with Jess – a South African Brit studying Politics and International Relations at Aberdeen University – to discuss her undeniable passion and activism for human rights and her optimism for the future of justice. Jess has been part of the Amnesty International society at Aberdeen for two years now, but became much more active towards the end of last year until present. She was elected president in May 2013 and will be until May 2014 (congrats Jess!). Jess admits she has a very strong core membership on campus and together they meet almost every week to do anything from general discussions, planning, campaigning to letter writing, all of which are fundamental parts of Amnesty International’s activism. I asked Jess a series of questions regarding her heart-warming involvement in Amnesty International and it’s aims and aspirations:

‘What does AI mean to you?’

As an activist, Amnesty International means a great deal to me. The simple fact that an organisation that is entirely invested in eradicating human rights abuses, and challenging any injustices disproves all the pessimism I encounter as an activist.  I am constantly told that ‘no one cares’ and that ‘there will always be conflict’ and although these statements might hold some depressing truth to them, the fact that there are people around the world so invested in disproving this is simply a glimmer of hope in a rather messed up world. 

‘What is the most important aspect of AI for you?’

Raising awareness. I cringe hearing that expression because I have said it a thousand times, but the fact of the matter is, it is vital to any battle against injustices. Simply talking to people about what is happening, opening their eyes to atrocities, big or small is irrefutably important. It is merely the exposure of an issue that generates discussions and that ultimately leads to change. I have spoken to many students over the year about differing human rights abuses and it is quite shocking to hear how many have never even heard of the country in which the issue is occurring. This observation is not made to express judgment of those people, but more so to highlight how easy it is to go about your life without even hearing of events that are literally destroying lives of others. In the end, if corrupt governments or groups are not acknowledged or exposed, human rights abuses can continue uninterrupted.

‘Do you ever see the death penalty being completely abolished?’

Yes. I hope for the sake of humanity that we can finally eradicate such a barbaric act.  My optimism is not unaccompanied by any dubiety as to when this will come about, but I am certain that one day it will happen. Global statistics portray an apparent decline in counties that still carry out the death penalty, which is a good sign…According to the Guardian “Latvia abolished the death penalty, meaning that there are nearly five times as many countries not executing prisoners as those that do in 2012.”

Jess hopes that her involvement in the Amnesty International Society on campus creates a platform enabling students to come and discuss their interests in combating human rights abuses. Her efforts give people out there a way of voicing their beliefs as it creates an environment where students can learn more about Amnesty International’s work and get involved. Playing a major role in this society has taught Jess a lot about leadership and commitment. She also claims it has ‘most definitely provided me with a lot of joy, especially because I have met a lot of people with similar interests.’

Jess, like many of us collegiettes, is unsure as to what the future holds, however she is very hopeful that that her work with Amnesty is far from over! As a departing 4th year student Jess hopes that ‘more of the student body gets involved in Amnesty’s work. It would be really great to see a diverse group of students becoming members. I really hope that the society stays active, continues to discuss issues and fight for human rights around the world.’

So Everybody, ‘Get Up, Stand Up, Stand Up For Your Rights!’

Alice Low

Aberdeen

Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.