Campus Celeb: Mr Dale Sutherland!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

This week we managed to track down Alkanes’ frontman Dale Sutherland for a chat about all things music related, and why he makes everyone else’s fourth year look tame.

Full name: Dale Sutherland

Age:21

Degree: Media Studies at Robert Gordon University

Home Town: Inverness

Random Fun Fact: Dale has a third nipple!

HC: Important question to start with. McFly or Busted?

Dale: That’s actually a difficult question; I was a big closet fan of both… Ok, Busted!

HC: You recently had a Busted-related interview didn’t you?

Dale: Yeah, I host an Alternative music show for the Robert Gordon Unversity radio station. I recently interviewed Charlie from Busted’s new band Fightstar. I sadly didn’t get to speak to Charlie himself, but interviewed the other members!

HC: That sounds like fun!

Dale: It was good to interview a well known band. I usually focus on local bands that no one knows about yet.

HC: You have your own band as well, tell us more about that!

Dale: I started the band Alkanes a few years ago after my old band split. I wanted to challenge myself.

HC: Do you play gigs in Aberdeen?

Dale: We mostly play Downstairs at the Malt Mill, but we’ve played Tunnels too which was cool. We also had our own headline gig at the Lemon Tree. It was a big achievement for a little boy from Inverness, as a lot of my hero’s have played that stage.

HC: That’s very cool! So what’s next for Alkanes?

Dale: We hope to release our debut EP this month and move on to a charity single in the New Year.

HC: Sounds good. Who are you guys planning to help with the single?

Dale: Well, my dad recently passed away and he had type-1 diabetes. My little brother has it as well. We want to support the charity Diabetes Scotland, but also want to raise some money to get my brother an insulin pump.

HC: What a great cause, I’m sure there will be loads of support.

Dale: I think it is really important to raise awareness. Some people don’t understand how bad diabetes can be. Kids shouldn’t have to hide away to inject themselves and worry about it, especially not when they are at school. That’s what we are working towards.

HC: Best of Luck with all your projects Dale.

We’ll keep an eye out for future music and gigs from Alkanes, but for now you can listen to their Demo on:

https://soundcloud.com/alkanes/a-different-kind-of-perfect-demo

https://www.facebook.com/Alkanesband/?fref=ts

4th Year Journalism student studying in Aberdeen.
Hi, I'm Rachel! I am currently pursuing a degree in English and Politics at UofA, graduating in 2016. I love all things pink, sparkly and pug related. Proud to be President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.