Campus Celeb: Mr Andy Benton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Andy Benton, aged 21 is your ideal Aberdeen University student. Originally from Essex, Andy studies sports science, is a committed member of the university weightlifting society, and manages to lead a more than healthy social life to boot. Initially drawn to Aberdeen as it was close to home at the time. Andy was highly impressed with the university’s sports facilities which he believes are “second to none”. It was in these more than impressive sports facilities, otherwise known as ASV, that Andy stumbled upon weightlifting. Whilst lifting some weights one night he bumped into the club founder who encouraged him to come along to a training session. It wasn’t long after that until he was hooked! 

Curious to know how this keen sportsman manages to balance his lifestyle, Her Campus asked what motivates him. We were impressed to learn that Andy was always involved in sports from a young age. Andy describes himself as a rather competitive person who enjoys breaking personal records and competing to win. This is easy to believe when his biggest inspiration is Ian Thorpe who for many years dominated the world of swimming. We are told by our Campus Celeb that Thorpe gave him the drive and determination to be successful in just about anything he committed himself to. Such drive has lead to achievements such as being in the British Unis top 10 for 2013, competing for his country at the Celtic Nations achieving his 1st cap, and being selected for the Commonwealth trials which take place this coming Saturday. 

In order to gain insight into his success we gathered some information on what it takes to make it. A typical day in the life of Andy Benton goes a little like this; “waking up in a rush for university, always make sure I have my morning coffee, university from 9-4, then onto a training session at kings 7-9, meet up with friends afterwards to unwind.” Andy admits that this is not the easiest lifestyle to maintain, stating that it is at times hard to find the time for revision, training, socialising AND sleeping. However it would appear moments like breaking personal records in Kings notorious “sweat hut” amongst friends and an intense yet supportive atmosphere keeps one motivated. When questioned on how tough it is balancing university, sport and a social life Andy responded by explaining it isn’t as hard as one might think, training 4 times a week allows him time meet up with friends before and after training. It’s on the run up to competitions that the going gets tough and he finds himself cutting down on the socialising/drinking to concentrate on his fitness for the coming event. 

To find out more about Andy outside of the weightlifting arena we did some research on his personal life. Free time is spent skiing when possible, not a difficult thing to do when home is known as Switzerland. Eating out for his favourite cuisine, Thai or Japanese is another way Andy chooses to relax alongside spending time with his friends whether it be chilling out at home or going hard on an infamous liquid Wednesday. In fact, following the Commonwealth Game trials Saturday 19th April, Andy will be no place other than the LDF (liquid dance floor) to celebrate this phenomenal achievement and opportunity. Which reiterates his words of advice to any aspiring sportsmen out there coming through university “work hard but always remember to have fun at the same time”

My name is Christina Frame, I am 21 years of age and studying International Relations and English Literature at the University of Aberdeen
Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.