Campus Celeb – Miss Caitlin Hurst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Name: Caitlin Hurst

Age: 22

From: Bo’ness

Year of Uni: Diploma (Post-graduate)

HC: Caitlin, you are the Student Director of the Aberdeen Law Project (ALP), can you tell us a bit about what exactly the ALP is?

Caitlin: The ALP started six years ago and it is the only student-run law clinic in Scotland. The idea is that we provide legal services to people who don’t get Legal Aid or can’t afford legal fees. We are also provide community out-reach programmes to certain groups of people who we feel could benefit from our help or learn something from us. For example, our on-going Schools Project involves going into schools and taking the pupils through a mock trial. This is has been really popular!

HC: What is your role as Student Director of the ALP?

Caitlin: I am predominantly responsible for overseeing the whole project. This involves weekly meetings, dropping into the different sectors within the ALP and communicating with external members. I have to make sure that the Board of Directors for the ALP are always happy and this can be stressful! These are the guys who sit “up top”. My role requires a great deal of organisation and time-management.

HC: When did you join the project and why?

Caitlin: I joined in first year and the ALP was part of the reason I applied to Aberdeen University. I wanted to help the community, as I believe that it is really important to “give back”. Being part of the ALP has meant that my law degree means much more than just a piece of paper because the ALP has let me apply practical skills and engage with clients which the LLB does not provide for.

HC: What is your proudest moment so far in the project?

Caitlin: In February this year, we held our Annual Lecture, which involves speakers from the legal profession, and it is useful to find out what the different parts of the ALP have been doing. This year was unique though because we had Lord Hope speak at the event. He is the retired Deputy President of the Supreme Court and an inspirational figure to law students. It was a proud moment for everyone to have a Supreme Court judge come to Aberdeen University!

HC: What is the hardest part of being the Student Director?

Caitlin: The hardest part would be trying to balance all of the roles I play within the ALP. I have to be involved with every member of the Project to ensure I know exactly what is going on. This can be difficult to manage at times but I get there!

HC: How do you balance everything you do?

Caitlin: I wouldn’t be able to perform the role of Student Director if I didn’t have my amazing Management team. They are always there for me and have supported me from the beginning.

HC: Is there anything you would like to change in the project?

Caitlin: Not really but I would like a way to reward the volunteers of the Project. I know we are all volunteers but I would like to show everyone how grateful I am for the work they do.

HC: You are currently a Diploma student, which means it’s your last year here. What are your plans for after University?

Caitlin: I am lucky in that I have a traineeship with a law firm in Glasgow to go into next year. It’s quite scary to think I’ll be a trainee solicitor but I’m excited to start!

HC: Will you be sad to leave?

Caitlin: Yes I will because I actually quite like Aberdeen. I’ve gotten to know it well over the years and it’s a great student city. However, I’m definitely looking forward to being somewhere else!

HC: What will you miss about Uni?

Caitlin: I will obviously miss my friends. We are a tight-knit group and it will be strange not being with them all the time when we all go off on our separate paths. I will also miss my work; I am a waitress at the . I enjoy working there and have made good friends too.

HC: Finally, will you come back and visit?!

Caitlin: Of course. I’m sure there will be lots of events with the ALP to come to in future years.

Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.