Campus Celeb ‘Lady of LAX’ – Miss Megan Burgoyne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

This week Her Campus caught up with the lovely and inspiring ‘Lady of LAX’ Miss Megan Burgoyne. We found out about her latest ventures with both Aberdeen University and Scotland’s Lacrosse teams. 

Name: Megan Burgoyne, AUWLC Club President

Year of Uni: 4th

Subject: Law LLB

Home Town: Ayr

Age: 21

HC: How would your flatmates describe you in three words? Compare this to how your parents would describe you in 3 words…

Megan: My flatmates describe me as ‘LaxLaxLax’, ‘laidback’, and ‘loves-a-VK’ – take from that what you will! My parents on the other hand, would most likely describe me as someone who ‘sleeps too much.’ Although in my defence time at home is time to rest of course!

HC: What are your plans after graduating? Are your plans anything to do with law or your love of lacrosse?

Megan: Funnily enough, ideally it would be neither of the two. My goal for the future is to go into the forces and become an Officer in the British Army. However, new doors have opened up for me in terms of LAX recently, so who knows! I have no set plans at the moment and will happily ride the wave for the next few years until I fully realise where I want to go and what I want to do.

HC: When did you start playing lacrosse and how did you get involved?

Megan: I started just over 3 years ago when I started Uni. I actually missed the sports fayre in my Fresher’s week, as I was too hungover to venture out the flat. It was my flatmate in halls who asked me to chum her down to the LAX try-outs the following week. Thank goodness I dragged myself out of bed that morning – it turned out to be the best decision I ever made!

HC: What made you want to play for Aberdeen University Women’s Lacrosse Club?

Megan: Two weeks after I joined the club, I was put on the team for my first BUCS game. I loved the sport from the outset and the old girls were such good banter, and very friendly and encouraging. I realised straight away that it was something I wanted to be a part of.

HC: We hear you have just been chosen to play for the Scotland Lacrosse Home International Squad! How does that feel and was it something you intended to aim towards?

Megan: It’s an absolute honour and I couldn’t be more chuffed. It all came about so quickly. The new head coach of the Women’s Senior Squad is a brilliant man called Dave Simpson from the States. He invited me along to trials and the rest is history. I had never really thought about trying out as I’m completely self-trained and have been playing for a relatively short time compared to a lot more experienced players. However, I have dedicated a lot of time over the years towards success for AUWLC so I decided to give it a go. I just never thought I would be given the chance to play at this level so soon. It’s insane. I cannot wait to get stuck in.

HC: What is your jersey number and is there any story behind it?

Megan: I don’t actually have a set number for AUWLC. I am soon to be given a number for Scotland when my new kit comes in as we have Home International Championships in 5 weeks. When I find out what number that is, I will definitely treasure it for a while to come.

HC: How can you find the time to do a law degree and play lacrosse for Scotland and Aberdeen University?

Megan: I always find the time for things I feel passionately about. Even if it means I have to get up at 6am to get to the gym for 7am or to be at ASV at 10 o’clock at night! I’m lucky in the sense that my degree has minimal hours of class time now so the majority of my work has to be done in my own time. For me, it’s all about self-discipline and time management.

HC: What is your biggest fear?

Megan: Apart from spiders?! I would say my biggest fear is disappointing people. In terms of my degree, AUWLC, and lacrosse. People put their trust in me to perform and I have to work hard to earn their respect. I hope to always be dedicated enough to any role of responsibility I play, to do it justice and not let people down. 

HC: Who do you look up to most today and why?

Megan: This is an easy question. My big brother is a huge inspiration to me; a protective and loving brother; the most wonderful father to my beautiful niece and a loyal and hard working solider who serves his country. He puts his life on the line in an extremely dangerous job to help people in countries who cannot help themselves. He is genuinely one of the most dedicated, respectful and caring people I know and he and others like him are the true heroes in today’s world.

HC: And finally, is there anyone you really admire in the lacrosse world?

Megan: AUWLC and all of its members. We may not top BUCS leagues or even win games all that often, but the girls put everything they have into the sport and we always have the best time!

Currently a 2nd year student studying English Literature at the University of Aberdeen.
Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.