Breast Cancer Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Apart from other exciting things, October is also the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and this year marks the 25th anniversary of the pink ribbon. From bake sales to fundraising walks, millions of people across Britain get involved to raise money for this extremely important cause. The month is also known as ‘The Big Pink’, and since pink is one of our favourite colours over here at Her Campus Aberdeen, we are excited to get involved.

In the UK alone, 50,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year. This is a terrifying statistic and one that should not be taken lightly. In a group of 8 friends, statistics show 1 of them will be diagnosed with breast cancer within their lifetime.

On Friday 20th October its Wear it Pink day. On this day thousands of people will stand together to fix breast cancer by wearing pink- mainly the powerfully symbolic pink ribbon. It is hoped that millions of pounds will be raised to fund crucial research.

I am a part of the University of Aberdeen Boob Team, representing the breast cancer awareness charity CoppaFeel! started by Kris Hallenga in 2009. Kris herself was affected by an incurable form of breast cancer when she was just 23 years old. With extreme bravery and determination, Kris started CoppaFeel!. The goal is to give everyone the best chance of surviving breast cancer, so CoppaFeel! are on a mission to spread the boob love and get all young girls (and guys!) knowing their knockers.

Since 2009, CoppaFeel! has grown massively and now spans the entire UK with many Universities, companies and schools getting involved.

The aim of the University Boob Team (UBT) is to shout CoppaFeel!’s boob checking message from the rooftops, making students aware of the signs and symptoms of breast cancer and making sure they have the confidence to go to the GP if something doesn’t seem quite right. It’s all about knowing your body and reminding you all to regularly check your boobs! Check out coppafeel.org for all you need to know.

Fundraising for CoppaFeel! and spreading the word are two things we have a whole lot of fun doing: boob brunches, cheese and wine nights, bake sales (boob inspired, obvs), The Boob Edition MILK collaboration at Nox and crashing sports training nights to drill in the boob checking message. Look out for the team and our giant boob on campus!

This month, in collaboration with CHaemO Aberdeen, we’re hosting ‘The Breast Bar Crawl Ever’ on the 24th and the following week we team up with Marrow Aberdeen to bring you ‘Marroween and SpookaFeel!’ on the 31st.  We’ve got a raffle coming your way very soon, and a bake sale on campus at the end of the month – it’s all happening and we’d love you to be a part of it!

To keep up to date with the boob chat and the many more exciting things to come, go give our Facebook page a like: https://www.facebook.com/CoppaFeelAbdn/ and if you’re as crazy about boobs as us (and think you could rock a giant one) we would LOVE to have you on the team. Give the page a message or get in touch with our team leader Lucy Soudain (lucy.soudain.14@aberdeen.ac.uk).

P.S Now go check your boobs x

Images: Coppafeel and breast cancer care