This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Aberdeen Spring Must Haves

For those of you who are like me and love planning your outfits a week in advance, spring time in Aberdeen can be quite stressful. Slip-ons and shades at 10am can quickly turn into parkas and wellies by 2pm, so here are my top tips to outsmart the great Scottish weather: 

1. You  simply can’t beat a good jacket.

From boyfriend blazers to bombers, a stylish jacket can revitalise any outfit with minimal effort required.  With Aberdeen’s weather being so unpredictable, I’d recommend a light coat or jacket that looks cute with a woolly jumper underneath for those cold days, as well as a classy tee for those rare sunny moments.

1. Boots are Beautiful.

Simple yet classy boots make your legs look fab and work with  jeans, leggings or skirts. Personally, I am a fan of an ankle boot, but whatever your preference, mix and match your boots with various outfits from casual days at university to cocktails with the gals and I promise you they won’t disappoint. The best thing about a simple black or tan boot is that they keep your feet dry on dark and rainy days and still look cute with light jeans and bright tees when the sun is out.

1. You’ll never outgrow your handbag.

Clothes may come and go, but finding a good handbag is like finding a soul mate. Generally, my rule is either wear bright clothes or have a bright bag, if you fall in love with bags like I do, then give it all the attention it can get by pairing it with a simple, elegant outfit.

1. Don’t be afraid to accessorize.

Any outfit can go from looking Primark to Prada with the right accessories. Much like with the bag, don’t be afraid to go big and bold with some statement jewellery. If bold is not your thing, not to worry, simply, classic pendants, rings and earrings are hard to flaw and it gives the illusion that time was spent on putting your outfit together, plus who doesn’t love a bit of sparkle?

1. Umbrellas are life savers.

Now you have that gorgeous handbag by your side, keep an umbrella in it always. Aberdeen’s weather likes to play mind games, so always stay one step ahead and avoid the drowned rat effect all season.  

Emily Sullivan

Aberdeen '20

Vice President at HCAU xo Anthropology student at Aberdeen University.