9 Things That Happen on a Freshers Night Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

It’s that time of the year again! Everyone is busy joining clubs and societies, whilst doing their best to avoid fresher’s flu.  There are always loads of taster sessions to go to, and by the end of the night, you’re surrounded by (too many) drinks. I’ve made a wee list of what goes on in the Infamous Freshers Parties.

#1 You doubt whether you should even go in the first place and the atmosphere is so awkward when you arrive. No worries, it will get better!

#2 Someone gets drunk after one drink. There is always that one person.

#3 You start downing shots. It is bound to happen at some point, but it is usually quite early in the night to get everyone happy and relaxed. Don’t feel ashamed to opt-out if it’s not your thing.

#4 Playing bonding games. Nothing gets the atmosphere up like a good old “Never Have I Ever” with strangers.

#5 There will probably be a running challenge or game throughout the night. Whether you get an individual task to complete or one for the whole team, it’s always fun, so make the most of it and take part. Remember to take plenty of pictures when your pals start doing cartwheels!

#6 Sing along. C’mon everyone: YOU ARE THE DANCING QUEEN, YOUNG AND SWEET!

#7 One of the leaders get wasted and is not allowed to lead anymore so a spiritual leader rises among the people and takes control of the pub crawl.

#8 Half the people don’t even make it all the way to the club and if they do, they disappear after 2 minutes. Luckily you will always find someone who will dance with you until the very end!

#9 End of night emotional talks in McDonald’s or a kebab shop is inevitable: “Honestly, you’re the best person I’ve ever met, I love you so much!! Let’s be best friends!”

Seem familiar eh?

Bonus round: checking your bank account in the morning and wondering how on earth you managed to spend all that money and what the hell you even spent it on

Wishing everyone an awesome Freshers week! Have fun, stay safe xx

Emma Mailanen

Aberdeen '21

Finnish. Psychology-sociology student.