This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Sometimes it all gets a bit too much. Everything is getting on top of you, and then a silly boy goes and breaks your heart. Sometimes you just need to escape university for a couple of days to mend.

Here’s a step by step guide.

Step 1 – Go home or away. Preferably to visit someone who will provide lots of cups of tea (or wine) and a shoulder to cry on. If your mum is available for this she is perfect (Mums rarely say ‘I told you so’)

This is just about isolated enough…

Step 2 – Have a bath. There is nothing more therapeutic than a hot bath. I recommend candles and a glass of something bubbly as well – treat yo self.

Step 3 – Eat some ice cream or chocolate. Trust me, you deserve to be pampered.

Step 4 – Get an early night. Go to bed, but ditch the phone and laptop. Looking at those old photos and texts before bed is not going to help.

Step 5 – Get up and go for a walk or run. There’s nothing better than getting outside. It will probably be the last thing you feel like doing, but I promise it’ll cheer you up. Set some new goals for yourself or just go somewhere pretty. (Nobody can hear if you have a little cry out there.) 

Step 6 – Listen to some break up songs and repeat step 5 as necessary. Getting fitter in the process will only help. If unsure, Amy Winehouse is a good place to start.

Step 7 – Spend some time with your best girl friends.

Step 8 – Return and start trying to get on with life. Throw a couple of wild nights with the girls in too, because that is what cities are for.

And remember:

HCXO<3

(All picture credits not stated are author’s own pictures)

Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.