8 Steps to Mending Yourself after a Break-Up

Sometimes it all gets a bit too much. Everything is getting on top of you, and then a silly boy goes and breaks your heart. Sometimes you just need to escape university for a couple of days to mend.

Here’s a step by step guide.

Step 1 – Go home or away. Preferably to visit someone who will provide lots of cups of tea (or wine) and a shoulder to cry on. If your mum is available for this she is perfect (Mums rarely say ‘I told you so’)

This is just about isolated enough…

Step 2 – Have a bath. There is nothing more therapeutic than a hot bath. I recommend candles and a glass of something bubbly as well – treat yo self.

Step 3 – Eat some ice cream or chocolate. Trust me, you deserve to be pampered.

Step 4 – Get an early night. Go to bed, but ditch the phone and laptop. Looking at those old photos and texts before bed is not going to help.

Step 5 – Get up and go for a walk or run. There’s nothing better than getting outside. It will probably be the last thing you feel like doing, but I promise it’ll cheer you up. Set some new goals for yourself or just go somewhere pretty. (Nobody can hear if you have a little cry out there.) 

Step 6 – Listen to some break up songs and repeat step 5 as necessary. Getting fitter in the process will only help. If unsure, Amy Winehouse is a good place to start.

Step 7 – Spend some time with your best girl friends.

Step 8 – Return and start trying to get on with life. Throw a couple of wild nights with the girls in too, because that is what cities are for.

And remember:

HCXO<3

(All picture credits not stated are author’s own pictures)