8 Reasons Why Mums Are The Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

8 Reasons Why Mums Are The Best

Let’s face it, Mums are basically superheroes, but with more powers.

At times we take them for granted, but for many of us they will the best role model we’ll ever have. As well as bringing us up, they provide endless encouragement, support and look after us in our time of need, no matter what age we are. There are plenty of things we learn and take from our Mamas.

Here are 8 reasons why we should appreciate our Mums this Mothers Day.

She knows how to cheer you up

When you’ve been sitting in the Uni library for days on end and your Mum sends you a care package, an encouraging message or just says she’s proud of how hard you’re working, at exactly the right moment. 

How is it that Mums just know exactly when you need cheered up? See, super powers.

She teaches us the important things

When we were younger we liked to disagree with our Mums but there comes a point when you think ‘wait, my Mum was right.’ Basically Mums are always right, well 99% of the time, so there is no surprise that they teach us all of the important things in life. 

Like always taking your makeup off before bed, saying no to the second tequila and not dwelling on mistakes just learning from them.

She always has your back

Of course your friends think your Mum is the sweetest, most gentle person in the world, but you know that is not always the case.

Mums can be sassy af and will always have your back, no matter what. Like the time at parents night when she shut down your art teacher for saying you had no artist flare, even though, lets face it, she knew it was true.

She is strong

She may as well have the title of World’s Strongest Woman, because anyone who dealt with you in your teenage rebellion phase deserves some kind of award.

And although at the time you wouldn’t have admitted it, you are now eternally grateful for her strength when it came to saying no to letting you dye your hair like Avril Lavigne for the end of year school photo.

She gives the best advice

Mums are stars when it comes to advice. You can tell her anything and she’ll always have the right answer and put things into perspective.

Having a bad time with your dating life? Your Mum will tell you that you are 100 times better, to keep your goals in sight and concentrate on yourself and good friendships. Which we knew was more important than that guy, but just needed a little reminder.

She never judges

You know with your mum there will be no judgement. Yes she wasn’t too pleased when you came home from your work Christmas party drinking 100 glasses of cheap prosecco. But did she rub your back while you vomm’d and look after you the next day, not judging your questionable choice the night before? Of course.

She is selfless

She always puts you first, doing things to make you happy before she even considers herself. Even giving you her last Malteaser or saving you the last of the milk for your breakfast tea. If that’s not love I don’t know what is.

She is always positive

No one is more positive than your Mum. A quick phone call telling her you’re feeling down and she’s there, making you feel better with endless hugs, snacks and positive words. She is like a little ray of sunshine. Always there to tell you that you’re doing great and it’s not that bad. 

Has there ever been a time when you’ve spoken to your mum about something that was getting you down and not felt better afterwards? Exactly.

It’s a little unfair that mums only get one day of the year where we really celebrate all the great things that they do for us. Being the best person for a chat, cuddle and advice we think they should be celebrated everyday. So make sure you spend time making your Mama feel just as special as she makes you feel, this Mother’s Day.

All photo’s Google Images