This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

70 Years of Royal Marriage Bliss

HRH The Queen and Prince Phillip celebrated their platinum anniversary on 20th November 2017. Now ninety-one and ninety-six, a lot has happened in their impressive fifty years of marriage. This is a milestone never met by any British monarch previously!

Undoubtedly a power couple and the face of the nation, the Queen adored her loving husband. On their Golden wedding anniversary, the Queen paid tribute to Philip saying, “He has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years.”

The Wedding

(The Telegraph)

Following an engagement when the Queen was only 21, Princess Elizabeth and Lieut Philip Mountbatten married on the 20th November 1947 in Westminster Abbey. Interestingly, the couple are in fact related, they are third cousins through Queen Victoria. Crowds of on lookers were fifty people deep all along the Mall, with everyone trying to catch a glimpse of the big day.

Family   

The British Monarch gave birth to her first child, Prince Charles, on 14 November 1948. The Prince of Wales is now first in line to the throne. Princess Anne, was born in 1950. As the only daughter, she competed in equestrian events for Great Britain in the 1976 Montreal Olympics. Prince Andrew is the third child of The Queen and Prince Phillip, but he first to be born to a reigning monarch for 103 years. Prince Edward is the youngest child of the Queen and Prince and was born in 1964. At birth he was third in line of succession to the British throne; as of 2017, he is ninth in line.

(The Telegraph)

Now, Queen Elizabeth can and Prince Phillip can call themselves parents, grandparents and great-grandparents. The couple have eight grandchildren and five great-grandchildren – and counting!

Jubilees

As well as milestones in terms of years married, the Royal couple has seen milestones The Queens reign. Coming to the throne at the young age of twenty-five in 1952 following the death of her Father. The Queen and the nation have celebrated many a Jubilee to date. A Jubilee marks the anniversary of an event, in the case of the Queen it marks the anniversary of her coronation.

The Silver Jubilee in 1977 was in celebration of twenty-five years on the throne. In 2002, the Golden Jubilee marked 50 years of Queen Elizabeth’s reign. The Diamond Jubilee was in 2012 and marked sixty years on the throne – this brought about major celebrations including a concert held outside Buckingham Palace. Should Queen Elizabeth still be reigning on 6 February 2022, the nation will celebrate a Diamond Jubilee marking 70 years on the throne.

(The Telegraph)

Celebrating 70 Years

The palace has reported that the 70 year wedding anniversary was a private occasion with family celebrations. No official visits or public celebrations are happening to mark the occasion.

2017 has been a big year and a year of change for the Royal couple. Prince Philip, who is 96, has returned from Royal Duties. This is an adjustment as previously, and throughout her entire reign, Prince Phillip hasn’t left the Queen’s side. After seven decades of service to the nation alongside The Queen, Prince Philip bowed out of public service.

(CNN)