5 Ways To Get The Most Out Of The Granite City!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

SKIING! Even if you’ve never skied a day in your life it’s never too late to start and Aberdeen is in the perfect location for those wishing to get involved. With Lecht, Glenshee and the Cairngorms only a two hour drive away, you could easily liven up those dreary winter months in the granite city with the odd weekend away. Or if an early riser, why not make it a day trip. Although not the cheapest of hobbies, skiing is a notoriously addictive and enjoyable sport with a jumping social scene so saving those pennies would definitely be worth the experience. Furthermore it’s a great way to stay active. Students have even been known to stumble on weekend lodges with hot-tubs and more than enough room to host 10-15 people for £60 per person. So whether you just want an easy getaway with some activity to boot or a weekend long party, skiing just outside Aberdeen is one of the most accessible options for those willing to get involved!

STONEHAVEN! Only 15 minutes in the car or 20 minutes on the train, Stonehaven is one of the closest most scenic days out for a student living in Aberdeen. Easy access and there is an array of things to do. Better left to the spring and summer months, Stonehaven plays host to a beach accompanied by a variety of pubs restaurants, shops and the best of all chippies. The ideal place to take advantage of your obsession with instagram, Stonehaven offers Auntie Bettie’s ice cream parlour which provides some of the most mouth watering options available in the UK, The Bay fish and chip shop that never fails to have queues out the door, and stunning views from the castle on the cliffs that look out on to the wild northern Sea. So why not grab your best friends on a sunny day and make the most of your time in Aberdeen with an idyllic trip to Stonehaven, just down the road

GO APE! For the adventurous outdoors type who is a bit of thrill seeker, Crathes Castle Go Ape is the perfect place to go. Only a 30 minute drive away, Go Ape involves a treetop adventure that allows you to get in touch with your “inner Tarzan”. Not only do you get to fly down zip wires and travel treetop swings, the accompanying scenery is breathtaking too. It’s a perfect teambuilding opportunity and an amazing experience to have with your fellow students. Bearing all of this in mind £30 for the day doesn’t seem too steep. As the organisation expands so does it’s list of activities and places to visit. 

BEACH BBQ! If we ever do indeed manage to catch some more sun the average temperature in Aberdeen might just rise to that point where all we’ll need is one jacket and scarf. If this does become the case, seize the moment, a few of your friends and a portable BBQ and brace yourself for the Northern Coast. A great way to spend a beautiful summer evening just relaxing post exam stress. Unwind and drink up. Burgers, Beer, Sand and Sea, what better way to blow off steam when the academic year is done. And for some privacy and peace and quiet, make your way up along the beach by bridge of don, away from the bustling beach front by Codona’s.  

SHOOTING! If you’ve ever found yourself willing to don some tweed and pick up a gun, then Seal’s Cove Shooting Ground is the perfect place for you. Just 5 miles south of Aberdeen looking out onto the sea, Cove provides excellent facilities, course and packages that allows anyone willing to try their hand at clay pigeon shooting! It offers individual and group tuition by qualified coaches and is open 6 days a week. Additionally, after a day of shooting there is the traditionally built log cabin that plays host to a wood burning stove and bar for guests to relax and unwind

My name is Christina Frame, I am 21 years of age and studying International Relations and English Literature at the University of Aberdeen