5 Fashion Differences Between the UK and the US

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Going to uni in a new country is such an eye-opening experience. There are so many new people to meet, new foods to try, and of course new fashion! I was a little nervous about what I would wear, so I brought pretty much every piece of clothing I have ever owned (not something I would recommend, especially if you’re someone like me who has tons of clothes)!

I almost ran out of room for my clothes when I was unpacking here, but that hasn’t stopped me from browsing (it’s an addiction). After all this browsing I realised just how different some trends were from Unis in the UK and Universities/Colleges in the US. So, here’s the top 5 fashion adjustments my wardrobe has gone through in the past two months.

1. Jumpers

This word confused me so much when I first got here because jumpers in the US are actually a type of dress! What you guys call jumpers here are actually called sweaters in the US, and they seem to be a staple in an Aberdeen wardrobe! Obviously jumpers are a must-have here in Aberdeen, most days you’d freeze if you didn’t have one! As you can see, my wardrobe has quite a few jumpers in it to keep me cosy. 

2. Black tights

The typical American university student wears leggings, boots, and some kind of sweatshirt (jumper). Now, I am a proud supporter of the “Leggings are not Pants” movement, which is why I was so glad the trend here is black tights! Big thank you to all you girls who wear tights and know they are not pants, you’re my heroes.

Tights have made dressing so much more fun. Normally I am stuck in jeans by this time of year, or sweatpants depending on the kind of day I’m having, oh yeah, it is acceptable to wear sweatpants to class in the US. I am loving the ability to wear shorts, skirts and dresses year round. My wardrobe is no longer constrained by seasons, if it’s cold and rainy I get to throw on my £2 tights and know that even if they are ruined, they lived a good life. Dresses and skirts are not really the norm at my university in the US and whenever I put them on my friends wondered who I was trying to impress, but now I get to wear whatever whenever, well, except for sweatpants of course.

3.  Boots

If you want a traditional American uni girl look, then look no further than her boots. In the US, you know it is Fall when us students put on our tall boots and start sipping on Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Tall boots are a must in the US.

Every time I see a girl in tall boots here, I secretly wonder if she too is from the US, because the UK trend is Chelsea boots. I have of course updated my wardrobe since arriving—these boots are just too cute not to have. They go all day and all night, and that’s a look we can all appreciate!

4. Scrunchies

As a child of the US 90s I was quite surprised to see scrunchies as a trend here in the UK. I can recall wearing the most obnoxious scrunchies as a kid, sorry, I think all the pictures got burned, but sadly I did not save any of them. Honestly, I never thought I’d see scrunchies again. It’s a pretty cool trend though because I think we all enjoy a bit of nostalgia in our lives. Nothing like throwing back!

5. T-shirts

T-shirts are the American item. We get them for every team and society that we join. We have t-shirts and sweatshirts with our school’s name all over them. They are casual, but a must have in the US. I mean if you don’t get a t-shirt, did you even go to school there?

Fashion may change, but our love of clothes probably won’t! So keep strutting your stuff and loving what you wear, because I know I sure am loving all this new UK fashion. 

Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.