This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

For those of you who don’t know me, (and for those that do but didn’t know this), I was born in 2000, meaning this year I turned 21. Birthdays always make me feel a little melancholy, even more so this year as I looked back on the past year and all the plans I had to cancel because of the pandemic.  

However, the more I thought about this past year, the more I realised how much time I spent learning a hell a lot about myself and how to survive life as it tries its very hardest to absolutely crush you. Because, let’s be honest, the last few years have really felt like a horror game rather than a life sim.  

Therefore, I have decided to make a list of 21 things I’ve learnt in 21 years that can serve as a memento and a way of passing on all the ‘wisdom’ I have collected. Some of these things may be obvious to you, others may not, but I really enjoyed writing this list and hope it inspires you to write a list of your own to look back on when you feel a bit lost in life.  

So, without further ado, and in no particular order, I present to you my list: 

1. Dressing yourself as you would a video game character (with passion and without fear) is a game changer.  
  1. Recipes are not suggestions. If you actually follow the instructions, the food will taste better than if you guesstimate how much vanilla extract you need.  
  1. Gender is a social construct and doesn’t have to mean anything to you if that’s how you feel. 
  1. Don’t wait until your head hurts to drink water, by then it is too late. 
  1. Potted plants = serotonin (only if kept alive). 
  1. Always start the assignment when you get it. Your current self will hate you, but your future self will love you.  
  1. You are allowed to eat when you are hungry regardless of whether you have just eaten. Listen to your own body. 
  1. It is okay to take pain medication when you are in pain. 
  1. Swimming in the sea is incredibly cathartic.  
  1. No matter what you do, you will be a villain in someone else’s story so just be yourself and try your best. 
  1. You are hot! Let no one tell you otherwise. 
  1. The sun is also hot, so remember to wear sun cream unless you want to look like a sun-dried tomato. 
  1. Rewatching tv shows/movies you liked as a kid is always a good idea. 
  1. Take up space and be yourself. 
  1. Stop eating things you are allergic to even if they taste good.  
  1. Coming out doesn’t have to be a big deal if you don’t want it to be. You also don’t have to come out. 
  1. Trust your instincts. 
  1. If you want to do something, just do it. Who is stopping you? No one. 
  1. Stop dating boring people (even if they are hot) and stop hanging out with people that make you feel bad. 
  1. Only do things that bring you joy, unless you have chores to do in which case go do them! 
  1. Social media is cursed, so spend less time on it, you won’t miss anything I promise! 
Kate Moran

Aberdeen '22

Kate Moran | They/Them Psychology Student