gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

21 Things I’ve Learned Before Turning 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

21 Things I’ve Learned Before Turning 21

As it’s only around 2 weeks before I turn 21, aka one of the only birthday’s that is socially acceptable to celebrate for weeks on end, therefore I felt it was absolutely essential to commemorate this with an article. I thought back and forth on the type of article this should be some of my ideas ranged from bday outfit tips to the best places to celebrate in Aberdeen but when in the shower (because all of my best ideas come to me in the shower) I thought of this. Celebrating 21 years with 21 things I’ve learned, maybe to educate those younger than me or maybe to lol at my past life decisions. Either way, enjoy!

1. Your mum will always give you the best advice. No matter if you’re 8 or 18 she’ll be your go to gal and that’ll continue absolutely no doubt. (Also, the phrase “mum knows best” is 100% true. For the love of god, please take her advice seriously!)
  2. Plucking your eyebrows to the point of pencil-thin is not a look. Never has been, never will be.
  3. The contest between friends and boys is just not even a contest. Never lose track of who has your best intentions at heart because ya friends have your back.
  1. Just because you fail something once doesn’t mean you’re always going to fail at it.
  2. People can change and friendships can end but it’s not particularly a bad thing. Saying that, holding grudges won’t bring you any joy but reaching out might so forgiveness can be key!
  3. Ugg boots won’t always be ugly. They’re still here.
  4. People will always mispronounce and misspell your name, sorry about that.
  5. University will bring some of the biggest challenges but also some of the greatest opportunities.
  6. Living abroad for a couple months, either on your own or with a bestie, even on a whim is unreal. Everyone should do it!
  1. Never feel bad about your own personal growth. People who don’t support the decisions you make to allow yourself to progress aren’t people you need. Don’t surround yourself with positivity.
  2. Chances are it isn’t written in the stars. But you’ll check your horoscope and it’ll vaguely match your current life situ so you’ll assume it’s tailored to you- hey Aquarius! 
  3. Basically anything you though was trendy and fashionable in 2007 definitely wasn’t. Put it all in the trash.
  4. The Spice Girls are still cool.
  5. When you think it’s the worst hangover of your life it won’t be, you continue to surprise yourself even now.
  6. The best hangover cures are sleep, irn-bru and extremely salty fries. Keep at’ it girl.
  7. Always call and visit all members of your family. Arguments are irrelevant and those people are irreplaceable.
  8. It’s important to understand and acknowledge other people opinions even if you don’t agree or understand they can still help you grow.
  9. Kill them with kindness.
  10. You should always laugh at your Dad’s jokes and let him tell you his long-winded stories. Even if it’s just to make him feel good.
  11. The phrase ‘fail to prepare, prepare to fail’ is also 100% true. Bla bla blaaaaa.
  12. HCAU is the best chapter of Her Campus, love ya’s!

And there you have it 21 things I’ve learnt before turning 21. It’s a mix of sentimental to surface level, if the milestone bday is approaching you too then happy birthday girlie and good luck turning 21!