This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

A couple of days ago, I was on the phone with one of my mum’s closest friends who I haven’t seen in years, and I was telling him about my courses, friends, and life here. He suddenly interrupted me and asked, “wait, how old are you now?” And I replied that I have been 20 for three months now. I couldn’t see his face, but I felt his shock through the phone. He kept repeating, “omg you’re 20 already. I can’t believe you’re 20. Oh I am so old. It seems only some months ago that I was watching you learn how to walk”.  

At that moment, I genuinely laughed and thought he was just being goofy, but when I hung up the phone, I had the realisation that I am, indeed, 20. I am not a teenager anymore. I have lived more years than I expected to, and I am so grateful for this journey. So here are 20 things I learned in my first 20 years of life. 

1. In honour of the number that precedes this sentence, remember that there is no need to always be the first. I grew up with the thought that a second place is just the first loser, and, technically, it is true, but what is wrong with being a loser once in a while? 
  1. A bad day is just a bad day, not a bad life. If Britney can make it through 2007, you can make it through this day. 
  1. Food is food. It has no moral value. A chocolate cupcake is not bad food, and it doesn’t make you a bad person, as much as a tomato salad doesn’t make you a good one.  
  1. Learn as many languages as you can while you’re young (when you are older, too). Yes, mum, you were right, I should have listened to your Chinese lessons years ago. 
  1. Embrace your identity. This will take time, but it is so worthy. I have hidden my sexuality and roots for years before realising that they are parts of me just like my hair colour or my favourite food. As the MGMT once sang, “just know that if you hide, it doesn’t go away”. 
  1. Kill them with kindness. Even the rudest people you meet on your path, especially them. Not because they need someone to show them compassion because they have never had a role model and all that old story, but because you know your worth and their comments do not scratch you.  
  1. Having a friend who makes you feel at home even when they are hundreds of miles away can save your life. And I am so lucky to have two of them. 
  1. Don’t order a triple cheese blend pizza with cheese-stuffed crust when you’re lactose intolerant. No, really, don’t do it. 
  1. Learn how to manage money. Take a Business course, ask your parents, watch YouTube videos, whatever. Just learn how to use them, because in the snap of a finger, you will be 20, and you will have to handle rent and bills and plan your meals and, let me tell you, that stuff is hard. 
  1. Lower your expectations. This way, it can only be better than expected. 
  1. Life plans change. Make plans, but also know that people change, and the world changes (thanks Covid), and you change, so you do not have to stick to a plan only because it was your dream when you were 4. 
  1. No matter how drunk or tired or sad you are, do your skincare. You will thank yourself in 30 years. 
  1. Find the time to do what you love during the week. It could be singing, pole dancing, or going shopping, but don’t give up on your passions because you are busy. It doesn’t have to be every day, and it doesn’t have to be two hours long, but try to find an interval of time just for you to recharge batteries doing something that you enjoy. 
  1. People grow apart. And that’s okay.  
  1. If something scares you, it is probably the right thing to do. Try that new sport, take that plane, go on that date. Worst case scenario is that you learn what you like and what you don’t like. 
  1. You won’t find happiness until you realise that happiness is accepting and loving the present. Love the journey, don’t chase an unrealistic goal. 
  1. Forgive. Anger, frustration, and grievance weigh more on you than on those you don’t want to forgive. Let it go and move on – but no one forbids you to write a whole book or album about them before forgiving them. 
  1. This one may be too controversial, but do not drink much water before a long car trip. You do not want to be the friend who needs to stop and go to the toiler every half an hour.  
  1. The worst defence is a good offence. Try to listen instead. 
  1. Be grateful. Don’t take anything for granted because nothing is permanent (thanks Covid pt. 2). On that note, hug the people you love. 
Emma Chen

Aberdeen '24

I am Emma (she/her) and I am a Zoology student at the University of Aberdeen. I have always been passionate about reading and writing, my phone's notes contain more streams of consciousness than Virginia Woolf's books.