10 Things Every Girl Should Have in her Bag in Autumn

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Once the weather cools down (especially here in Aberdeen) you can no longer get away with wearing a little cardi and taking a small handbag when out and about. The colder unpredictable weather means that every girl must come prepared for every eventuality. Here at HC Aberdeen we’ve got you covered with a list of 10 things every girl must have in her uni bag. Autumn Survival here we come!

Before we get started on the contents you need to find yourself a trusty bag. Though a rucksack might not look the greatest, I’m yet to find a nice bag which fits enough stuff for uni, library and then maybe the gym without breaking my back in the process. This sturdy chap is from Accessorize and goes perfectly with my monochrome wardrobe. This one also came with a matching iPad/tablet cover. It’s still a sensible rucksack but Accessorize do some lovely patterns and materials to jazz it up a little.

1)     Pens and a note-pad – This is an essential for all year round so we couldn’t not include it. At uni its always essential to keep a notepad and pen close by. You never know when your computer is going to run out of battery or when inspiration for a great Her Campus article might hit so always keep our old-fashioned friends pen and paper nearby. It’s also been proved that you’re more likely to remember information that is written instead of typed so consider reverting to the written word to ace those exams! A diary (electronic or paper) is also essential for keeping track of all those lectures, seminars and extra-curriculars which means you can organise more time to snuggle up in doors while its chilly outside.

2)     Headphones – Whenever I’m walking somewhere it always feels so much faster when I’m listening to music. Listening to music is also great for whiling away those late night library sessions and getting energetic in the gym. Therefore headphones are essential for any uni girls bag. We love this neat little pack from 5 Hour Energy as they stay tangle free in their little box, are small and compact and can also be personalised with whatever colour ear buds you prefer. I mean what better way to listen to HC Aberdeen’s Autumn playlist!

3)     Tissues and Cold-Eeze – now I’m one of those people who sits in the library and sits sniffing and coughing away bugging everyone all Autumn and Winter. In order to not annoy your fellow students TOO much and to ward off those dastardly colds it’s important to always keep a pack of tissues and some paracetamol on you. This will mean hopefully you can study (or party) a bit longer despite your cold. Another great remedy to keep on hand is these homeopathic Cold-Eeze tablets which aim to shorten your cold and help relieve coughs, chest congestion and sore throats!

4)     Handcream – whenever it starts to get nippier our hands always get more dry. To keep our hands in tip top shape we suggest keeping a travel hand cream in your bag. Our editor Eira loves the Body Shop and L’Occitane ones!

5)     Lipbalm – Similarly, Autumn is terrible for those chapped lips. Palmers have introduced this amazing jumbo swivelstick which also doubles up for dry skin as well as chapped lips so it’s a great multi-tasker to throw in your bag – just make sure your friends don’t mistake it for a gluestick! If you don’t like cocoa butter however, our editor Freya would also recommend Benefit’s Benebalm as it keeps your lips soft for hours as well as adding a bit of colour as it doubles up as a lip tint. Mwah!

6)     Gloves, hat and a massive scarf – Autumn is edging into the period where it’s okay to constantly have your woollies on you! You never know when the weather might turn and especially in university buildings, you can even get chilly in side. Have a small pair of magic gloves in your bag can save your digits while one of Zara’s famous massive scarf can also double as a blanket or pillow. Instant snuggly warm feeling.

7)     Flask of hot tea (with sweetener from Zing if you aren’t sweet enough!) or a reusable coffee cup – if you’ve got a long day at uni or a really early lecture it’s a great idea to take a flask of hot tea or a reusable cup of coffee with you. While saving the planet (and those pennies by not buying at Starbucks) you’re also heating yourself on those chilly mornings.

8)     Tampons/Diva Cup – one thing any girl shouldn’t be caught without in any season is sanitary products. Nowadays most sanitary products are kept in pretty small discreet packaging so its great to zip a couple into a little side pocket of your bag for emergencies. If you’re into saving money and the planet, Diva Cups are also great earth friendly sanitary products which can easily and discreetly be popped in your bag too. We’ll have a review coming up on the Diva Cup in the coming weeks!

9)     Portable charger – in the age of the iPhone, very rarely will your mobile last all day so it’s always handy to have a portable charger in your bag for those times when you really can’t go without Snapchat. It’s also increasingly important when the nights are getting darker earlier to have a charged phone on you so you can let your friends know you’re on your way home or to use the light if you can’t see your keys in the dark!

10) Hair bobble and Tangle Teezer – this is the one thing I HATE to be without in the Autumn. As the weather gets rainier and windier you can sometimes find yourself turning up to lectures with your hair all over the place and knotted in the wind. So I always keep a spare bobble or my cute velvet HC Aberdeen scrunchie in my handbag with my Tangle Teezer at all times so that my hair doesn’t end up glued to my favourite autumnal berry lipstick.

With this little kit always in your bag you’ll never be caught out in an Autumnal related disaster and you’ll always be prepared! Thank us later!!

*We were gifted some of these lovely items by a number of brands which are linked as part of our Her Campus Back to School Survival Kit.

Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.