This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

We all know that the gossip rags love telling you about the hottest up-and-coming celebs, who are all social media savy (meaning you can insta-stalk them for hours) and usually under 25. But here at HerCampus Aberdeen, we thought it was time to show some appreciation to those stars who – like cheese or fine wine – have aged incredibly well! So without further ado, here are our top picks!

#1 Colin Firth (58)

Look, I know this is the one all your mums love, but frankly you should too. Name a bad Colin Firth movie – you can’t! From Bridget Jones to Love Actually to Mamma Mia, Colin Firth has played the man of our dreams too many times to count and he looks just as good now as he did 20 years ago.

#2 Hugh Grant (58)

If you didn’t fall a little bit in love with Hugh Grant when you watched Love Actually, Notting Hill, or Four Weddings and a Funeral do you even have a heart? Hugh Grant was a stone cold fox in the 80s and 90s and he still is now even though he’s nearing 60!

#3 Jeff Goldblum (66)

Jeff Goldblum has been his weird and wonderful self on our screens since 1974, and has starred in some of the biggest movie franchises ever including Jurassic Park and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He’s not only devastatingly handsome but also hilariously odd (don’t believe me? Just check out his Buzzfeed video where he reads thirst tweets)!

#4 Idris Elba (46)

Best known for his roles in the Thor movies, the gritty drama Luther, and his new Netflix show Turn Up Charlie, I was really shocked to find out Idris Elba was 46 (let alone that he has a 17 year old daughter) but it does mean that he got a place on our list (although he really hasn’t changed that much)!

#5 Hugh Jackman (50)

What can I say about Hugh Jackman except damnnnnnnnn? He’s done everything from superhero movies to musicals and looked great in all of them. He’s the original Australian hunk and yes, that means he’s better than the Hemsworths!

#6 Jon Hamm (48)

Best known for his role as Don Draper in Mad Men, to me Jon Hamm will always be the best example of why all men should wear suits all the time (just kidding!). He’s a great actor, an advocate for mental health – and have I mentioned how good he looks for 48?

#7 John Mayer (41)

Okay so he’s only just over the age limit for this list (and seriously, when did John Mayer turn 40?) but you can’t write a list about hot celebs and not include John Mayer. Ten years ago he had a bit of a reputation for being a playboy, but he’s calmed down now and mostly releases amazing music and funny Instagram Stories – though he still makes you melt when he sings “Your Body Is A Wonderland”!

#8 Patrick Dempsey (53)

I mean it’s McDreamy, what more do I need to say?

#9 Bradley Cooper (44)

If you haven’t spent the last 15 years under a rock, you’ll know that Bradley Cooper has been consistently ranked as one of the hottest celebs for a while now, so there’s no way I’d ever leave him off this list. From The Hangover, to Silver Linings Playbook, to A Star Is Born, Bradley Cooper has done everything from drama to comedy and back and if you weren’t obsessed with his and Lady Gaga’s performance at the Oscars what is wrong with you?

#10 Ryan Reynolds (42)

The final entry for this list is everyone’s favourite Merc with a Mouth, Ryan Reynolds. But long before he was squeezing into red spandex, Ryan Reynolds was in amazing rom-coms with Sandra Bullock – and honestly, he’s only gotten better from there. He’s hot, funny, and let’s be honest his relationship with Blake Lively is serious goals!

Of course, this is HerCampus where we’re serious about equality, so keep an eye out for our Hot Women over 40 coming in the next few weeks!

Ellen Vinke

Aberdeen '21

22 years old, studying postgrad Creative Writing at the University of Aberdeen! Lover of all things feline or nerdy x