This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Unpopular opinion: Valentine’s Day sucks. When you’re young, you get to eat chocolates and give out fun cards to your friends, which is great! The older you get, though, the more romantically terrible it becomes. This “holiday” has been so commercialised that many couples/singles-ready-to-mingle go for the expected standards: dinner, flowers, chocolate, maybe even a movie. Valentine’s Day doesn’t account for so many issues though: breakups, not finding a date, or general heartbreak. Going on actual dates has such potential to be just as terrible, as gift prices soar, restaurants fill up, and wintery weather really brings down the mood. Sometimes, you just want to pour your heart out into anti-Valentine’s Day songs, whether you’re going through a difficult separation, or just hate this time of the year. Luckily for us anti-romantics, there is a variety of so many of these songs, going beyond the standard Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Adele, Lady Gaga, Sam Smith, and so on. Here are the top ten Valentine breakup songs for crying your eyes out, getting empowered, or just being generally grumpy with February 14th.

Gotye feat Kimbra – Somebody That I Used To Know

Listen if: you’re hurt from being left behind and want to reminisce, or you’re happy that you blocked someone who hurt you in a relationship

This 2011 single has two stories behind it, Gotye’s anguish of completely being cut off yet happy he’s single, and Kimbra’s anger of how poorly she was treated. Beyond this, the chemistry and acting in the video is real, raw, and painful: just like you and your ex! This is a perfect song for so many emotions: sadness, anger, and happiness to be single or to have excluded someone.

Toni Braxton – Unbreak My Heart

Listen if: you feel like blaming your ex for how upset you are.

A classic 90s slow jam, Toni tells it like how we all feel sometimes: like all of this heartbreak is directly caused from your ex. A beautiful and cathartic song, this is perfect to belt along while going through all of your couples pictures and sobbing.

Whitney Houston – It’s Not Right (But It’s Okay)

Listen if: you’re glad you left that cheating jerk!

There are two main versions to this song: the original, and the iconic LGBTQ anthem from the Thunderpuss remix. Both have a great story to tell of how Whitney found out she wasn’t the only one, and how she picks herself up, and boots that two-timer to the door. This is especially great to quash feelings of inadequacies. You are great, even if you were cheated on, and you don’t need a partner to make you happy, and Whitney Houston agrees!

Robyn – Dancing On My Own

Listen if: you want to cry your eyes out about not being over the relationship and your ex finding someone new, all while dancing

Fact: Robyn makes amazing breakup songs. This one is even more remarkable because it’s such an upbeat song. You immediately just want to get up and groove along. What’s extra special about this one, and is very important, is that she knows that the relationship is over and she should move on, as part of her grieving process. So should you. Grab some tissues and invite your friends over to dance your tears away.

Sinéad O’Connor – Nothing Compares 2 U

Listen if: you’re just not ready to accept things are over and need a good sob session

Our Irish girl understands heartbreak, but also the great things about being single. Even with that, she’s just not ready to move on yet, so she lets herself grieve. This emotional song tugs at everyone’s heartstrings, remembering all the things that could’ve been. Tears will be shed, and that’s okay.

Birdy – Skinny Love

Listen if: you’re feeling all of the regrets of a failed relationship, or coming to terms that you are/were in a relationship for the wrong reasons

Although the original is by Bon Iver, Birdy’s fragility adds a new depth that makes this haunting song even more relatable

Amy Winehouse – Back to Black

Listen if: you’re upset watching them find a new partner and need to be alone for a while

Amy Winehouse was an amazing singer. When her songs were happy, they were really happy. When they were sad, well, songs as emotional and devastating like this were released. As a warning, this song is especially bleak, so be sure to have lots of tissues and friends nearby for comfort.

The Fray – How To Save A Life

Listen if: you want to grieve a loss of any relationship and wonder where things went sour

This song is applicable to so many forms of love: familial, platonic, romantic, and so on. It’s this versatility that makes it so enjoyable and relatable. Sometimes things fall out and you don’t know why, and listening to this lets you sing along, and can let you feel the exact same way as the narrator: lost, confused, and even a bit lonely.

Garth Brooks – Friends in Low Places

Listen if: you love country music and want to celebrate your amazing friend support group

Garth Brooks, like Robyn, makes great breakup songs. In this case, he shows he’s not too worried about being single because he has great friends that love him, no matter what. Everyone deserves this, and hopefully you have your besties along, too!

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts – I Hate Myself for Loving You

Listen if: you are sick and tired of your ex and their shenanigans but still want to rock out 

Joan Jett is the original bad girl, and portrays what so many breakups entail: frustration at the other, but still a desire to get back. This headbanger lets single folks reclaim themselves, while allowing them to miss their ex, while wrapped up in a wicked rock ‘n’ roll song.

Since Valentine’s Day is absolutely guaranteed to bring sadness, songs can be the perfect way to let out all the emotions: anger, regret, sadness, and a firm resolve to rock on harder than ever. If you’re single, going through a tough time, or are just generally against this holiday, there are some great artists to sing, shout, and let it all out with. With these, happy Anti-Valentine’s Day!

Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.